Comments

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @halifax212
    I have a slip at Four Seasons Marina by Sea Ray of Cincinnati. B dock
  • Options
    @PickleRick
    Thanks for the advice. The wring inside the hull seems like it would be a PITA. I am getting to the age where I don't mind paying for certain jobs. We'll see. I will find out how much the installation costs then make a decision.
  • Options
    @aero3113

I am fairly mechanically inclined but unfamiliar with boat work. At some point I may get comfortable enough to attempt something like that. I am just not there yet lol
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum
    I have heard good things about the Lencos and they are probably my first choice. My boat was lower hours when I bought it and like yours, was always kept indoors and it showed. I rented a slip on the Ohio River because it's something I've always wanted to do. I pulled the boat out every few weeks to clean the hull and give it a waxing and inspection. For the winter time, it is stored in my barn so I can tinker with it all winter. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The wiring isnt complicated. Its the crawling, bending and snaking wires i don't like.  When purchased new it will come with all the instructions to make wiring and install pretty simple, should also contain templets, might want to look them up before purchase to see recommended size for your legnth boat and then measure to be sure it will fit properly.  Some boats are lucky enough to fit slightly larger tabs.  Generally if youre in a marina or other social boating scene there will be that one guy in the group that over sees and assists with everyone's projects.  That is the guy you want to buy a case of beer!   

I did forget to mention that if im in an area where i have to keep idle/no wake speeds for long i use the tabs, my boat wonders worse than a set of slicks on ice unless i plant the bow down.  I only have to trim them a bit and then she holds like a train on rails.  

Bennett trim tabs are another to consider, their customer service is second to none.  Even for just parts and service, not just initial purchase.  I have boat leveler, same concept as Bennett.  The only thing i like better about them is if a hose breaks 3/8 adapted to 5/16 fuel hose from any auto parts or hardware store (brass barbed adapters 3/8 to 5/16 available either place as well) will allow you to finish out your weekend on the water or in my case half the summer as i took my time and was too lazy to replace it immediately with something a little more robust from the hydralic shop.  
  • Options
    @PickleRick
    Yeah, the bending and snaking wires is something that I would have a problem with due to back problems. Also, the engine bay is not big enough for me to get down in.
     I have looked at the Bennett tabs too. Both Lenco and Bennett have an automatic version which sounds interesting although I have heard that some people claim they don't work as advertised. I have about 5 months to do some research and decide. I appreciate the advice.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have indicators but unless it is dark you can't see them anyway...also put new trim tabs sensors on when I pulled the motor, never got the to work. Pretty much tell when everything is trimmed right just going by the motor...at least on the river where I'm not dealing with swells...
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not how sure the automatic tabs work well for leveling the boat while running, I've heard they drastically improve some boats getting on plane and idle speed bow wondring.  There is a reason the manufactures who make the automatic tabs also sell the conversion kits to convert them to power as they only do so much 

If she points just fine at idle no wake speeds, you don't have swells/wake to constantly deal with and you're just looking to improve getting on plane a simple dolefin for sub 75 bucks would be something to try. 

My dad has a 19.5 ft chapparell cruiser, she has no listing issues, 4.3 powered alpha 1.  The fin is all she needed to help push the bow down when towing someone behind the boat.   Being that its only ever seen lake hartwell since it came off the show room floor wake is of no concern.  Some boats just handle better than others out of the box. Some of us stuff so much crap into our boats we need tabs to make a fine designed boat  ride properly again. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to learn about your boat. I had a 1998 232cc for 13 seasons before upgrading to a 280EC. It served me well. If I wouldn’t have needed more room with a growing family, I would probably still have her. She served me well and I saw her this past summer at the point in Pittsburgh. She still looks great. 

I agree that tabs would help the 232 get on plane faster. @Alswagg has some options on how to order the correct ones and placement on the 232 hull. I have the indicators with my tabs and I can see the lights day and night with no issues. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg
    Thanks for the info. My wife and I are already toying with the idea of selling our motorhome and moving up to am express cruiser. Probably won't happen for a while, though.