Cool Fuel Module Fitting Fix (DIY)

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has the older style cool fuel module and are worried about their fittings, I have an easy CHEAP fix. I wanted to tap the holes but was worried about damaging the housing so I searched the net for a better way. Not 100% my idea, I found it on the SR forum. 

1: Unbolt the metal lock, remove water lines and module.

2: Use a pair of vice grips and rag to crush the two pressed in fittings on the hoses. Once they crack you can pull them out with needle nose pliers without any damage to the hoses. Keep the metal lock for later. DO NOT CUT the hose and fittings off, you want to keep the hoses as long as possible.

3: Clean the water passage holes on the module of any corrosion.

4: Pick up two plastic 5/8 x 1/2 barbed splicer hose fittings from Home Depot.

5: The fittings are too long, you need to grind down the 5/8 side of the fittings so there is some space between the fitting and housing. The fittings are a snug fit, I will be using 3M 5200 to set the fittings in the housing and use the original hose lock to keep them secure.

6: Apply a good amount of 3M 5200 to the holes (one at a time), make sure you coat the inside edge where the fitting will mate up against the housing (coat every visible area in the holes).

7: Use some scotch brite to scuff up the fittings where the sealant will be applied. Put a coat of 5200 on the fittings and make sure you put it on the flange also. Insert the fittings, once the fittings are in you will have to clear out the sealant from the inside of the passages that squished in when the fittings went in (I used a wooden coffee stirrer). I left the sealant that squished out on the outside to form a better seal on the housing.

8: Install original hose lock to firmly push the fittings in.

9: Allow to cure for at least 24 hours before use. 

I feel this fix is better than the original fittings and O-rings that were used. 

2008 330EC
Post edited by aero3113 on

Comments