Advice on Road Trip

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Totally non-Rinker/boat related, but there are forum members from all over and lot's of us also enjoy travel, especially us Northerner's heading to warmer climates in winter so maybe some of you have some tips. We are blessed with good friends with a place in Largo FLA (the one near Clearwater,not Key Largo) that have allowed us to visit every year for the last 7 years for a week or two. We have typically flown and rented a car but this year looking at a 3 week road trip, last week of February and first two weeks of March. The rough itinerary is to head towards Nashville, maybe stop in and visit @randy56 since he's not far away and then over to Memphis for a day or two, on down to New Orleans then across the top of the Gulf coast and panhandle down into Florida. Works out to about 4000 miles overall.
We had considered getting to New Orleans for the last few days of Mardi Gras but have never visited before and the Admiral isn't fond of large rowdy crowds so we'll likely blow through just after and check it out and then if we like it, head back another time for Mardi Gras. We love off the beaten path stops and a general theme is to seek out great BBQ, some fishing, maybe a swamp tour, and then into the sea food belt of the Gulf Coast. Mobile will likely be a stop and Apalachicola looks interesting. Local cuisine, dive bars, historical sites, obscure roadside attractions are always of interest.
Anybody done a similar route?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If you want bbq hit Memphis on your way to new orleans.  Dont go to the big places with huge signs, go to the little dive places the locals stand in line for.  

Andrew Zimmerman did a good episode on Memphis.

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep @PickleRick the side trip to Memphis was more for BBQ, less for Elvis, although we will likely check out Graceland since we'll be there. Corky's BBQ is already on the iitinerary as is Marlowe's.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Totally non-Rinker/boat related, but there are forum members from all over and lot's of us also enjoy travel, especially us Northerner's heading to warmer climates in winter so maybe some of you have some tips. We are blessed with good friends with a place in Largo FLA (the one near Clearwater,not Key Largo) that have allowed us to visit every year for the last 7 years for a week or two. We have typically flown and rented a car but this year looking at a 3 week road trip, last week of February and first two weeks of March. The rough itinerary is to head towards Nashville, maybe stop in and visit @randy56 since he's not far away and then over to Memphis for a day or two, on down to New Orleans then across the top of the Gulf coast and panhandle down into Florida. Works out to about 4000 miles overall.
    We had considered getting to New Orleans for the last few days of Mardi Gras but have never visited before and the Admiral isn't fond of large rowdy crowds so we'll likely blow through just after and check it out and then if we like it, head back another time for Mardi Gras. We love off the beaten path stops and a general theme is to seek out great BBQ, some fishing, maybe a swamp tour, and then into the sea food belt of the Gulf Coast. Mobile will likely be a stop and Apalachicola looks interesting. Local cuisine, dive bars, historical sites, obscure roadside attractions are always of interest.
    Anybody done a similar route?
    Get and RV Will. Geeezzz
    LOL....maybe eventually @Handymans342. But it'll likely be a 5th wheel and pick up. Good buddy of mine retired last year after 30 years as a fireman. He and his wife sold the house, sold or gave away pretty much all of their possessions and now live full time in a 34 foot 5th wheel. No permanent address. Spending their second consecutive winter in South Padre Island. I admire him in a way, but not sure the Admiral and I could last spending 12 months of the year together in a 35 foot space.
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    If you find yourself south of Clearwater,we vacation in a small town called Cortez. It's west of Bradenton just across the bay from Anna Maria Island. Cortez is an "old Florida" fishing town and has some great small seafood restaurants. If you are there in mid February try to attend the Cortez Seafood Festival.
    Post edited by RiverRat232 on
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Sounds like a great trip! I know those days that are unplanned usually end up being the best.  We have a couple of those local five places, one being near our marina, that tend to be our favorite.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

If you find yourself south of Clearwater,we vacation in a small town called Cortez. It's west of Bradenton just across the bay from Anna Maria Island. Cortez is and "old Florida" fishing town and has some great small seafood restaurants. If you are there in mid February try to attend the Cortez Seafood Festival.
    Have been there and loved it. Ate at the waterfront fishing wharf restaurant. Beautiful area.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound Agree with you about living full time in a camper trailer. We are going to try and find and air B&B camper after school is out for at least two week's to see if we can do that kinda stuff. Before we buy one. As retirement is getting closer. We plan  on  spending winters in the south, Like @Glassguy54 mentioned in another thread. 

We stayed in Clearwater for a week a year or two right after we go married, ya 38 years ago, loved it. 

If you get a little further south in FL Handy know's some very good places to eat sea food. 

Here is what I found in Memphis BBQ https://www.10best.com/destinations/tennessee/memphis/restaurants/barbecue/
    Boat Name : 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearwater used to be a nice area but for those that visited 30 years ago would find it unrecognizable today- it is really over built tourist trap now...buts it's ok...
    We stayed in Clearwater Beach for many years. Last time was about 8 years ago. Can't stand it anymore. Except the Bait House right by the causeway. Great spot for lunch and a beer and watch the boats go by.
    rasbury said:
    Clearwater used to be a nice area but for those that visited 30 years ago would find it unrecognizable today- it is really over built tourist trap now...buts it's ok...
    That's a shame. I loved it back in the 90s.  I also loved the milkshakes at dairy kurl on the drive out there.

Willhound said:
    LOL....maybe eventually @Handymans342. But it'll likely be a 5th wheel and pick up. Good buddy of mine retired last year after 30 years as a fireman. He and his wife sold the house, sold or gave away pretty much all of their possessions and now live full time in a 34 foot 5th wheel. No permanent address. Spending their second consecutive winter in South Padre Island. I admire him in a way, but not sure the Admiral and I could last spending 12 months of the year together in a 35 foot space.
    Allow me to educate you. First of all you are not in the RV every minute because you are out exploring, so throw out that excuse unless it's raining LOL. 
    Depends how much exploring you can do. In my buddy's case he literally has no other home. 6 months in the same park up here in summer and 6 months in the same park in South Padre Island. He spends 75% of his waking hours in the beach bar nearby with a bit of surf fishing thrown in.
    edited December 2019
    We will do 6 months traveling and 6 months here after retirement, have no other home but still not in RV all day. We will be moving in the RV in about 6 months but still work fulltime for 5 more years. 
    Handy, it sounds like we may be retiring about the same time.  About 6 more years here.

I agree you're not in that space all the time, but it can still feel very tight. Best thing is to make great use of outside space with pull out awnings and such.  The reason you have an RV is to usually enjoy the great outdoors more anyway.

Dream_Inn said:
    Handy, it sounds like we may be retiring about the same time.  About 6 more years here.

I agree you're not in that space all the time, but it can still feel very tight. Best thing is to make great use of outside space with pull out awnings and such.  The reason you have an RV is to usually enjoy the great outdoors more anyway.
    Very well put John and I miss the campfires and the people. 
    Yes, the campfires and talking with people around the campfires are what make memories.

....Go Buckeyes!!...

edited December 2019
    Youtube search the show "abandoned" new orleans. 

They show a few places id love to go including a resurant located on a canal that has had to shut down/be rebuilt multiple times since Katrina due to flooding and storm damage.

If you have Hulu abandoned season 1 is on there.
    Dream_Inn said:
    Yes, the campfires and talking with people around the campfires are what make memories.

....Go Buckeyes!!...
    Maybe next year
    Yeah, I was disappointed in the Buckeyes game in many ways.  But, they did well this year.  Would've loved seeing them play LSU. (But, I'll be in Jamaica then, do now I won't have to find a place there to watch game! :) )

• RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn
    We also RV camp but now our time is split between the boat and the RV. Boat won out this year mainly because it's new to us. One of the things we love about the campgrounds is there is no snobbery. Whether you are in a million dollar class A or in a tent, everyone there has one thing in common. Love of camping and the outdoors. Old and young. Rich and poor. All of that seems not to matter while camping.
    Osu was at a disadvantage having to play both clumpsum and the refs.  I hope lsu kills rhem
    @Dream_Inn. If your resort has wifi download ustvgo. Its an app made popular by military stationed overseas.   You can watch most anything live on tv from your phone or tablet. My sister and i watched the Steelers last weekend at a family bday party.
    Thanks Rick, I'll download it.  

RiverRat, I do agree with you.  But I do find it similar in boating at times.  I've walked the docks at nights and sometimes find myself on 60 footers BSing and sometimes 20 footers.

Sooo.... getting back on track. Here's a good example of the type of place we'd seek out. Hit this on a road trip to Florida about 5 years ago when we sidetracked off of I-75 to US411 just outside Chatanooga TN.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lottie's+Diner/@35.166033,-85.2207674,9z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3b8ac858e0cc816b!8m2!3d35.166033!4d-84.6692194

Great food, nice folks and a pretty drive.