Options

Pump out adapter

2»

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Stever00 said:
    We have gotten so far off the question I ask to start with . I just want to know how someone with a similar boat pumps out their  type III  system holding tank at home. How did you plumb it? I dont want to know what laws and rules are. This boat has already passed an inspection for MSD permit in Al. In the past.  This is a small boat. I'm not going to Lake Superior or the Atlantic Ocean. 
    I'm not cutting hole in bottom of boat or putting in Y Valve or what ever  you ocean people do. If they can pump it out at a marina there should be a way to do it at home.
    Simple answer.  They don't.

The waste system was designed to be vacuumed out by a pump-out at a marina, or if you have a Y valve and a macerator and can get 25 miles off shore, dumped overboard.

Those are the designs.

What you want is a pump-out at home.  It's not generally done.  To do it without major surgery to your boat would mean building a pump station that could develop enough suction to draw the waste from your waste tank.  You could try to catch the discharge of the macerator, but I don't think it has enough pressure to go up hill very far.

So you can look at something like a portable pump out like this https://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=755 or come up with some other vacuum system that can draw the waste from the tank using the existing pump out fitting.

Option 3 is like most of use, get a pump out at the gas dock.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's probably like my local lakes, no pump out at fuel dock....they come i think weekly to pump out holding tanks.  
  • Options
    That portable tank might be the way to go then.  Find other in the same boat (pun intended) and split the cost and chore to empty it.

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @Stever00 - I believe you said you're in TN. Don't know how current this is, but maybe something near you?...

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/Tennessee-marinas-with-pump-out.pdf
  • Options
    And this is interesting. It appears you can legally dump your poop in TN. They have approved "discharge" areas. (Not sure if I'd want to boat on one of those.)

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/Tennessee-boating-discharge-reservoirs.pdf

• Options
    And even more interesting, in that same document it states: "Marinas and docks operating on public water must provide a sewage removal service."

So @Stever00 -- Maybe time to bring that point up with any public ramp you use that doesn't have one?
  • Options
    @TonyG13 I would not be surprised if that was aimed at porta-potties in small boats versus a pump-out for a fixed head and black water system.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He could zip tie the pump he has bought to the cleat on top on the boat. attach a flexible hose to shove into the tank. then garden hose to his sewer clean out. of course extend wire's with battrie clip's. Assuming the pump will pick up with 6ft of hose attached.  
    Thus temporary pooo removal. Waste tank treatment products help smell, and you don’t have to add more of it before dumping wastewater. The Happy Campers brand, can also liquefy household tissues and waste solids.
    $hity discussions. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    Tn River comes through north Alabama (40 miles). Guntersville Lake (35-40 miles) is made from it.  Lewis Smith Lake (20 miles) . Their marina with pump out 35 to 40 miles).  Poop is a minor problem compared to what all chemical plants in Decatur are dumping in the river. When they tell you not to eat the fish there must be a reason.
    Anybody ever had porta john people pump out a tank? Seem like all they would need is an adapter.  Thanks for all the help in this $ity discussion.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I have no idea why this thread is so interesting -- maybe 'cause I'm a $hithe@d?  :D

Anyway, found this portable marine waste vacuum pump...

https://wastecorp.com/index.php route=product/product&path=111_4&product_id=318

Wonder how much they cost.
  • Options
    @TonyG13 the one I posted is around $650.  I'd expect that one to be a bit more.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/16/2020 There is a sale on pooo tank parts 50% off 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    I just requested a quote on that pump. I'll see what they say. I bet 1500 to 2000. My boat stunk so bad when I bought it this subject was all I was worried about. Smelling like walking through a nursing home about 9 in the morning!! Lol