Options

Cooling

2»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    So will be heading to the ramp shortly but want to check a couple of things before I go...particularly on the a/c...l know where the thru hulls are for the engine and the Ginny...in the midship I have the thru Hull for the a/c and the filter for it...where is the thru Hull for the head? And the exit for the water from the a/c, how do I get a look at that hose and connection?
    Rick you should know all this!!!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You know, I think I figured it out and then forgot....also can't remember the water exits...I have the one large for the Ginny...moving forward for the up deck sink..and a cluster of 4..one is for air discharge, one and I can't remember what the other 3 are? There is one forward for the sink in the head...one I think is the aft bielge...other two?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    You know, I think I figured it out and then forgot....also can't remember the water exits...I have the one large for the Ginny...moving forward for the up deck sink..and a cluster of 4..one is for air discharge, one and I can't remember what the other 3 are? There is one forward for the sink in the head...one I think is the aft bielge...other two?
    On is the air conditioner, one is shower sump, one is the mid cabin bilge pump and the last one is the drain at the helm. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one for the helm is to the left of this cluster of 4... I really need to take a better look!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're over thinking. 

Air in a system will burp wherever it can, and even though the raw water side is open, there are a ton of places for air to hide from the slipstream of water.  Where it may escape is a hose fitting somewhere.... And this is what can happen: 

The AIR forces an opening to escape... Its harder to capture air.. As the slipstream of water below rises in temperature it transfers to the captured air and increases its pressure due to heat... Then, it finds a way out- a badly married hose/nipple fitting... And blows out.,. Problem: the air starts the hole and the water chases it... The vacuum created as the air escapes is enough to divert the slipstream of water until the pressure on the water is relieved.  

You SHOULD be able to see scorch marks on the fitting where water escaped, and especially if you used soap to lubricate and then seal the connection (as it dries).  

Id be looking carefully at the hot side of the raw water... Doubling clamps (and opposed clamps; screws on worm clamps facing different directions OR a worm clamp closest to fitting and a CONSTANT TENSION clamp south of it... They provide more tension the harder they're tugged)... Id also grab a small bottle of dawn dishwashing soap for the inside of the hose (only part over metal of fitting)... A little goes a long way... You can keep it on the boat, too, as A DROP or two on the DECKS and a brush will keep all fresh (just not on waxed areas)...