Options

342 engine rebuild

cduffycduffy Member Posts: 11
Hey all, looking for advice, must dos, must not dos.  Pulling both engines and gen to rebuild the engine and clean up gen. Any parts that should be swapped while the engines are out?  Have twin 350 Horizons. 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any reason why your rebuilding? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Are you doing rebuilds or refreshing the motors?

Id price rebuild and price new GM blocks.  With labor rates many times its close to the same price.  The race shop next to me rarely builds motors for circle track guys because the crate motors are so competitively priced now.  These guys date back to when the Earnhart family raced in Greenville Pickens Speedway, they used to build dozens of motors every week during race season.

DO follow proper break in procedures as directed by builder or manufacturer.

If you want power you can add parts at this time.  Every 40hp is about 1mph because you cant be late to happy hour 😄
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its amazing how much horsepower and energy it takes to move 14000 lbs across the water with 2 motors or a 270 with one motor
  • Options
    I saw a 27 ft 90s carver Santiago for sale with two 190 hp motors.  Plenty of room to get around the two 4 cyl motors.
    Probably about as much room as the 270 with a big v8.  Sadly those motor have been obs for years.

I couldn't imagine draining blocks on two v8s in a 270

Now give me two inline 4 diesels!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 28 Stamas flybridge with twin Merc 4 bangers and Alpha Drives. Great fuel mileage
  • Options
    Is gm no longer installing the 5.7 vortec into full size trucks/suvs or are they now all the LS based engine?  

other than electronics i can't think of any items that would make a diffence in a truck or marine engine.  The programming is just a little different, im sure most has to do with lack of an o2 sensor(have a buddy that tunes go fast LS engines that go in camaros/boats/vetts/etc, he's anti diesel and trying to get me to go 6.0 LS). This is obviously in a closed loop system where as a raw water needs special freeze plugs, stainless headgasket as well as water pump and cooler thermostat.  We can debate cams but to me a vortec rv/truck cam is close enough to a marine cam to call it good although there are better performing cams out there that wont suck water than either of those.  Come to think of it dont most of the newer motors use bronze(maybe brass) freeze plugs?   

You can tell I've been out of the newer vehicle market for a while.  Before my excursion my daily driver was 1967 vintage.  Life was good. I had swapped a v8 in that for years until the diesel but got to me. 

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about cams but marine engines are under more stress than a regular vehicle engine. I believe there is a difference in crank bearings.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I believe in the old carburetored days marine engines were usually 2 bolt main rather than 4 bolt, i refer to the 5.7 as i dont think there was an option of different blocks for the 305 or the more rare 327.

I think it was the old Thomson boats that boasted the 327 corvette engines, their coded blocks were directly from the vette assembly line and destined for closed cooling.

Usually bottom ends are beefed up for higher compression/forced function/higher horse power builds as well as higher rpms. They do see more load than automotive engines but they dont see 5000 rpms clutch drops like you'd see at the track 😄 

My comment about cams is regarding the fact that due to a better design you can get away with a little more aggressive cam on new roller rocker engines than you could on the flat tappet cam.   

• Options
    aero - long story but I'll try to make it short.  I was planning to pull the boat and have the gimbles replaced, I also had a starter bolt recently break off in the block. I figured while the boat it out of the water, I would get a price to have the port engine pulled to get the starter bolt out.  I was talking to a buddy about it and we have a mutual friend, that I have known for 20 years, that owns a motor re building shop.  I had a reasonable quote to pull the port engine, so i asked how much to go ahead and yank the starboard engine and my buddy is going to rebuild for $1500/ea.  They only have around 1200 hours, but due to timing and circumstances, I figured I would just have the engines and gen done.  The admiral is also talking about an upgrade soon since we now have a 10 month old.  I like the peace of mind for the upcoming season and think for resale, it will help to have 200 hours on the rebuild than 1400 hours.  

My question was more of what components to swap out while the engine is easy to get to everything.  I am not really looking for HP, we are on a lake and slow cruise most of the time and when we do want to get up and run on plane, we havent had any problems with current power.  Just looking at the convenience while not climbing in the engine room.  
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    WoW, $1500 is a great price. I’m in the same boat as you (LoL), our daughters are 2 1/2 and 6 months old. I’ve been going through everything on our new to us 330 for piece of mind.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All rubber hose's, belts  and engine coupler.  You also may look at the wear on the steering linkage.  Great price, You have a good buddy, return the favor some day. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Check your engine mounts also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Since I had my starboard engine replaced I'm planning to replace the port engine next Winter.  Planning a 700+ mile trip for 2021 and figure it's the right time.  

If I could get a re-build done for $1,500 I'd be all over it.  Since starboard was a new long block I plan to do the same for port.  

Just wish I could reset the hours on the computers.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thanks Guys.  Like I said, it wasn't necessarily the plan, but everything was falling in place just right and it didnt make sense not to do it, especially at $1500/.  He is a great guy, I'll check and see what the regular price is once I'm done and let you all know if it is worth the shipping cost.  I will get with my regular mechanic and check on the couplers, rubber, linkage and mounts.  i just put new belts on last year, but i will check them out well.  If you all think of anything else while the engine compartment is empty, also, please let me know.  
  • Options
    What are they charging to pull and reinstall the engines?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Look for little crap like thisa po or maybe even installer over torqued the hose clamp and this is the end result. 

Check all your wiring, especially around the exhausts pipe for any chaffing or melted casings.  I had a few worrisome spots.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace your oil pans - I'd use the the ones with baffles to stop the oil slopping around (windage trays). If you don't have them I'd add remote oil filters and also hoses from the bottom of the oil pan so you can use a 12v pump for quick oil change. Up-grade to Hardin SS water pumps.
  • Options
  • Options
    MT I just replaced the pump housing on my starboard engine, it is not terrible to get to. I might get the Hardin for the port. I am on a fresh water lake, will the stainless make a big difference?  It isn’t that much difference in price so will probably go with it either way
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    cduffy. Beautiful boat! If there isn't much difference in price I would definately use the Hardin Marine units @Alswagg and many of serious contributors to this forum speak very highly of them. A friend replaced two of his pumps with the HM units and I had a look at them. They appeared very, very well made. 

BTW - if no one has mentioned it yet - with the engine(s) out I'd look carefully at bilge pumps (great time to up-grade) vent hoses - easy time to replace, through hulls - also a great time to re-tighten or even re-seal any through hulls.

Even if only one engine is out most of the hardware is waaaay easier to get at! 

@cduffy .....*****I may stand corrected: There is a lengthy thread regarding Hardin Pumps on this forum (presently running) I was not aware that newer versions may require a bearing replacement at +/- 200 hours. This is news to me and you may wish to investigate that.

• Options
    That is technically a trailerable boat.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    It’s to wide (12 feet)you would need permit to travel down road with it 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Its also too tall. You would need to take the arch down. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    it is 12’ wide so it would need a permit but I had it shipped from Washington DC to TULSA OK and did not need to take off the arch. It was just under hight 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on trailer. The guy who moved mine has a real low unit and so as long as I cleared 12’ we were good. Only thing to watch was the rouge overhanging tree limb. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bring my 342 home for winter (50 miles) just have to flip the radar under the arch.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I was making a joke...that trailer is huge and compared to my rinker 235 its a mega yacht.  Very beautiful boat, maybe its from growing up watching Miami Vice but the arch just looks sweet on the water