Options

Saw something I don't understand

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Someone showed me a pic they saw on Facebook of boats in a New York (not sure what city) marina that were shrink wrapped and in a well.  Is that common?  Can't say I've seen that combination.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Do you mean a coal mine?  I know that is common around Pittsburgh area.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need the old mine shaft storage space in Pittsburgh to store all those championship trophies.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Do you mean a coal mine?  I know that is common around Pittsburgh area.

We don't use coal mines for storage, but we do use old limestone mines. There are a few that are climate controlled. Unfortunately some boats with an arch, like mine, won't fit due to a height restriction. Most mines around here won't take anything over 12' high.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    We keep ours at Wampum Underground. Its an old mine. We are not in climate controlled but on the waiting list for it.

Greg, there were guys at our marina that were in climate controlled. One had a 2007 Four Winns 318 but it had a folding arch. The other was a 2015 Sea Ray 310 Sundancer. I don't think he had a folding arch and he fit in there. Not sure what his total height was

Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    ok. so somehow i got that pic in the wrong place and now can't remove it...Can a mod get rid of that? sorry
  • Options
    Well????
    A well, slip, dock space.  In the water next to a dock.  

It seemed odd to me that someone would shrink wrap their boat while in the water or put it back in the water with the shrink on it.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some live aboards in the mystic river in CT. Some shrink wrap and others Fisher canvas cover. Maybe its cheaper rent in the city???
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Well????
    A well, slip, dock space.  In the water next to a dock.  

It seemed odd to me that someone would shrink wrap their boat while in the water or put it back in the water with the shrink on it.
    It's done all the time here in Maryland.  

• Options
    So do they bubble the wells DI?  Just curious.  Around here the boats are on land when they get shrink wrapped and stay their till launch time.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few here in Pittsburgh that shrink wrap their boats in the water. I guess they want the added protection in case it snows. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    So do they bubble the wells DI?  Just curious.  Around here the boats are on land when they get shrink wrapped and stay their till launch time.
    Some do, some don't.  We don't generally get that hard freeze where the ice would move things (like pilings, docks all stay in the water).  

• Options
    There are a few here in Pittsburgh that shrink wrap their boats in the water. I guess they want the added protection in case it snows. 

Yep. See them all down the Allegheny River along 28 in the water and shrink wrapped
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen them in covered slips in Marina's up on lift's. Couple hour's south of me at Kentucky & Barkley lake.  this picture is a private dock
    Related image

Boat Name : 

• Options
    I do keep mine on the lift all year.  Lots of people in my marina leave them on the lift.  Also a lot of those have the marina pull the boat, shrink it, then tow it back to lift for winter.  Most of you know, I put my own cover on.