Adding cockpit fridge fv270

Going to add an additional acdc fridge to my 2004 fv270 this spring. Can anyone suggest the easiest route to get ac cable from breaker panel in cabin to cockpit sink area?
Thanks for any help you can provide

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice upgrade but wiring is not my thing...you will get your answer however!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine had a receptacle that could be tapped into. This was not my boat. but same.
    Rinker Fiesta Vee 270 2004 image 6
    Boat Name : 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That receptacle would make life easy. Are you planing on an AC/DC fridge or AC only?
    2008 330EC
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Why not just use a straight DC fridge? Initial cost of fridge would be much cheaper, onboard charger would keep the batteries charged and fridge operating while plugged into shore power and wiring would be very simple. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with diggin.  My cockpit fridge is DC only.  There is an AC socket behind it and a breaker down below, but they are not used.  As long as your battery charger is running while on AC you shouldn't have a problem.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 on what diggin said the cabin fridge is ac/dc but the a/c on a 270 is only on when the range breaker is on. Most poeple don't know there only using it as a 12 volt fridge. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    The cabin fridge in my FV270 is a 12v only... I’ve never had any issues. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tniggel added one to his 270. He did a writeup on here about it. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    so this has been a source of confusion for me...it did not work when I got the boat and had to replace the control panel on the back....and I assume the converter was bad but did not replace that...so assume I'm always running on batter but @reneechris14 your saying if I turn my range on it will work on shore power? Interesting! Please confirm has this electrical stuff just goes over my head....like everything else.
    For what we do, if the fridge was up top I don't think I'd use the one below....we generally bring a cooler for ice ( not beer drinkers) and we put some snacks in the fridge for the kids....admiral is not a fan of cooking on the boat, that's what marians are for..I pick my battles you know...
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury the fridge will only work with range breaker on if it is dual voltage. Yours may not be. My 2000 FV270 fridge is 12v only.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    these are pics  of my 2002 270. Notice no breaker for the fidge. Notice on the galley the cook top is above the fidge they share the same 120v wire. 
    Yeah, they just tapped into the range top feed. This came up a year or so ago when somebody ( @J3ff maybe?) had teouble with their fridge. But still has to have the duo voltage capability. Depending on boat and fridge model they may not.
    @Willhound you are right @J3ff bought a new range top and posted the wire.
    I was thinking when I researched mine (2005) when I first got it , it is 12v but has a power inverter/converter/flux capacitor what ever so if your plugged into shore power it will convert to 12 v and run the fridge or otherwise, will run off 12v. I do recall there is a plug in behind the fridge and would make sense it would run off the range on shore...will have to figure out how to test that? I guess if I disconnect the battery and turn off the charger and the fridge runs on shore power but that sounds like a lot of work.....it works the way it works and I guess I don't have to worry about that unless it stops working!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was confused for sure when taking it apart and finding that the fridge runs off the same breaker for the range. They probably could have labeled it!
    @J3ff not to hijack this thread but update your thread on your boat?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited January 2020
    rasbury said:
    @J3ff not to hijack this thread but update your thread on your boat?
    Still sitting in a lot waiting for some attention, spent 3 days in a row on the jetski last weekend bouncing around the keys instead of boating. Going to go do a little work on her this weekend. Hoping the mechanic will get started next week sometime. 
    Has he told you what was wrong?  @J3ff
    yeah, will pick it up in the other thread.. 
  • Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Willhound said:
    @rasbury the fridge will only work with range breaker on if it is dual voltage. Yours may not be. My 2000 FV270 fridge is 12v only.

Yours might not be 12v only either.  I have a 2000 270 with a Norcold DE-451 fridge.  When I purchased the boat three years ago I was lucky enough to get all the original documentation for the boat.  The fridge user guide specified that it was an AC/DC model.  Bugged me since there wasn't a breaker on the panel for it and the fridge didn't work when on shore power and batteries were off.  One day I took the fridge out to do some servicing under the sink and lo and behold there was the AC cord all coiled up nice and neat and zip tied.  Looked like it was that way from the factory.  I currently run it through the cabinet to the left of the fridge under the panel and plug it into the outlet on the panel when I need to.  It just barely makes it.  I'm considering adding an outlet behind the fridge to plug it in there.  It's easy wiring. Take a look behind yours.  It only takes a minute!
    Have done that. Mines a Vitrifrigo and definitely 12 v only. Pulled the fridge when running wiring for a stereo install. It has a Danfoss 12 v compressor. I think I posted pics back then, will have to try and find them.
    I guess I can turn off the batteries and the charger and try it on shore to see?
    Yep. Just turn your range breaker on. Most I've heard of just pigtail off the range wires. Somebody could have wired a plug I suppose but you'd have to pull the fridge out to see. Not a bad idea anyway. I had some mildew and other crap back there that I cleaned up when I pulled mine out. Only held in by the trim and about 8 or 10 screws.
  • skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    My 04 270 is run on range breaker as well
    Sweet! Always learning something on this forum!