New Kind of Shrinkwrap

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Personally I'm not a fan of shrink wrap, partly cost, partly environmental. I like my re-usable tarp and frame I've had for many years. However, this story caught my eye.
http://www.canadianyachting.ca/diy/maintenance/5387-ask-andrew-shrink-wrap
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. If it breaks down quicker in a landfill, I wonder if it shortens the life at all on a boat that’s laid up for years? Would it start to brake down after a while and then have to re-wrap it?
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I beleive it needs anaerobic conditions and the bacteria in the soil to break down. Supposed to have the same UV and exposure to ozone/oxygen as regular shrink wrap.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • julie4julie4 Member Posts: 10
    Yeah you are right. It needs bacteria in the soil to breakdown. Similarly You can grasp the shrink, wrapped product in your hand. Also use a finger to press against the shrink wrap. Peel the plastic shrink wrap away from the product with your fingers. Use the scissors and gently poke the shrink wrap with the end of these sharpest scissor blade, breaking the plastic.

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to cover my boat this year with a frame and some tarps ,all said and done it cost more than to have the boat  shrink wraped ,even though I can probably use the wood and tarps next year I know I won't