Options

Diesels will be dead

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
At least in anything over 79 feet. Don't know why only larger vessels. Maybe the displacement or horsepower of the engines, or the bunker oil they might burn.
May not apply to anyone on here anyway....

https://www.boattest.com/article/new-emissions-standards-will-kill-motoryachts-over-79
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Liberal left wing hit job
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably. New it would catch your eye Handy.  ;)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Thx Willhound! - just cancelled my 130' Hatteras order.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Interesting article!

It's a bit on the melodramatic side.  Kill all large motoryacht building?  Kill this class of motoryachts for the foreseeable future?  Ain't gonna happen.  The rich will just buy 150-footers instead of 110-footers.

But it will definitely affect Handy.  He'll have to build a bigger dock at his luxury mansion in FL.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Interesting article!

It's a bit on the melodramatic side.  Kill all large motoryacht building?  Kill this class of motoryachts for the foreseeable future?  Ain't gonna happen.  The rich will just buy 150-footers instead of 110-footers.

But it will definitely affect Handy.  He'll have to build a bigger dock at his luxury mansion in FL.  
    I just put my big dog down so the mansion goes on the market in April. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    That's not easy.  Sorry for your loss.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sorry handy...I know that's like family...
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Big Gubment screwing up everything, as usual! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    So the super rich would have to spend 500k more on their mega yachts and they will be a little slower and heavier...what 500 k more on a multi million dollar yacht?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just put my big dog down.

Sorry to hear, even if you know something like that is coming it's a sad day.

Why are they picking on a small number of boat's when there are, 8 million diesel car's and suv's,  and 15.5 million semi trucks? Yes global warming is here, yes we pollute. 
    But a few yacht"s come on man. Here is the real story. Rant not over. 

Pie chart of total US greenhouse gas emissions by economic sector in 2017 28 percent is from electricity 29 percent is from transportation 22 percent is from industry 12 percent is from commercial and residential and 9 percent is from agriculture
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Look closely at your statistics and facts.  Coal and oil, the USDA, and tobacco companies have all had so called notable research facilities produce data that showed what they want it to show.

Look carfully at who's making or has made large donations to the research facility you're getting your info from. This isnt a new problem.  The carbon emissions in diesels have been highly debated with very conflicting info.  

Sadly today the general population takes whatever they hear on tv or see on Facebook as fact.  Don't let twitter or Instagram do your thinking for you.  

When lobbyist win, the 98% lose.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For diesels, the carbon emissions are not the biggie, particulate emissions are.  The Tier IV engines are amazingly cleaner on emissions.  You can barely smell the exhaust on the new diesels.  

One can debate all day on regulations. A lot to be said about not pumping out pollution when it can be dealt with. 

Cuyahoga River 1969. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Correct me if im wrong but particulates from a lesser efficient gas motor are lighter and more prone to stay in the atmosphere where they, in theory, cause global warming or, climate change

A more efficient diesel, that can run on renewable fuels such as b100 bio diesel or even 100% waste veggie oil if you'd like, puts out more particulates but they are heavier and settle to the ground quickly.   Bio based diesels do put out more particulates than regular petrol based diesel but is much lower an many other emissions category.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Volvo Penta Diesels Re-Engineered:
    Next-Generation D4 & D6 Marine
    Propulsion Systems

volvopenta_d4-d6_012720JPG
    Volvo Penta’s Next-Generation Diesel Propulsion Systems

When it comes to marine diesel engines, no company on the planet works harder to provide the solutions needed by recreational boat owners than Volvo Penta does. And, that is precisely the reason that its diesels are used in so many applications in the boats that we test. A good example of the company’s dedication to boaters is Volvo Penta’s introduction last year of its re-engineered D4 and D6 diesel engines. We’re told that they took Volvo 300,000 engineering hours and 40,000 hours of testing to accomplish. By all accounts, the new engines are a vast improvement over the ones they replaced, and that is why BoatTEST is making this special report on the engines. Let’s look at the enhancements and see what they mean to boaters. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yamaha has a new stern drive diesel wow
  • Options
    Don't feel bad @Alswagg. I keep hearing about a fuel injected Stihl chainsaw from customers that's supposed to be stupid powerful and Stihl has not said one word to me about it.  Seems that the consumer has more time to watch t.v. and share YouTube videos than the dealer.

The current echo/shindaiwa cut off saw was in real time in the field product testing for 10 years before a dealer got one to sell.  

It would be nice to be kept in the loop.

• Options
    @Alswagg. Al, can you price this out? The motor looks just like my old Yanmar. 
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Thats gotta be an old video. Rob Smith hasn't done anything for Boat Test for like 10 years
  • Options
    Well the new Diesel outboard videos are new
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Yamaha video is 12 years old.
    2008 330EC