Options

Who has a ditch bag?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
Lately, we've talked a lot about safety and ways to "manufacture good luck."  I'd be interested to hear who keeps a ditch bag, what's in it, and where you store it.

A ditch bag is, literally, a bag that you can grab when your boat is sinking and you have only moments to abandon ship.  The contents help you and your crew stay afloat, stay alive and get rescued.  

I'll confess, in 20+ years I've never made one.  It's on my list for this year.  It'll be pretty simple, and nothing at all like the ones used by distance cruisers.  Flotation, VHF, signaling devices, basic first aid.  For now I'll skip the EPIRB, considering the beating my budget has taken this year.  I'll have to find somewhere in the cockpit to store it, with a way to keep the VHF charged. 

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I keep a waterproof hiking backpack.  Usually some towels, spare underwear, swim shorts.  L.e.d. headlamp. Jumper pack that's the size of a phone, can also charge phones with it.  Sunscreen, chap stick and usually protein bars.  Whistle, sharp pocket knife.  No eprb where i boat.  One or two Ziploc bags.  Rain jacket.  Lighter. Small can of deet. I don't store it in the cockpit, it's right inside the cabin door. 

State law requires a 1 throw pillow or ring and life jacket for each person on board at hand length all times in boat, children under 16 i think are required to wear them so there are always life jackets on the backs of seats and on dash for quick access. I also keep a pool noodle or two beside the seats in case i need to grab one to snag a struggling swimmer.  They can grab the noodle and calm down before i assist them.  

In the cabin there are extra life jackets under both sides of the bed as well as pool noodles...just in case i need easy access quickly.   

Always a sharp pocket knife and lighter in the cubby hole by the drivers seat.  Whistle hanging under steering wheel.  Small set of tools in the cubby hole with the battery switch.  Jumper cables stowed in the engine hatch. Gallon of engine oil, spare alt and ps belt.  1qt of atf.  

First aid kit in cubby hole right inside cabin door, water proof carrying case. 

Spare case of water under v berth.  

Air horn in cabinet at sink.  

Pool noodles in the aft cabin and my son has his own led head lamp.  

I don't believe in putting my eggs all in one basket so i  have several areas i store things in case of break down, emergency or assistance to others whether it be repairs, emergency, etc.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on - you guys have RINKERS - you'll never need to ditch unless "ditch bag" is just Rinkeresque for a 40 of tequila, a bag of limes, party snacks and a couple of @JoeStang
    exes! :-)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Obviously MT has been hanging out in the tropics for a while.  :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @Dream_Inn.....hot and sunny here (shorts and flip flops)......back home -20 with 20cm of snow. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not read what you all were saying but that's a horrible name for you admirals!
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I have one, it has everything we could ever need in it including water and a PLB. From my other post:

Ditch Bag Contents:
    1. (4) Current Coastal Flares + Gun
    2. (4) Expired Coastal Flares
    3. PLB
    4. Knife
    5. Spare Air
    6. (5) Emergency Blankets
    7. 5 Fluorescent Yellow Boonie Caps
    8. Documents
    9. Charts
    10. First Aid Kit
    11. (5) PFD Strobes
    12. (1) Floating Strobe
    13. (1) Dramamine
    14. Rescue whistle/mirror/float
    15. Rescue Tape
    16. Wood plugs
    17. 14" foam cone for plugging larger holes
    18. 16 oz tub of beeswax (also plugging holes).
    19. SteelStick
    20. (5) 12oz waters
    21. Waterproof cell phone sack
    22. (4) AA Lithium Batteries

https://www.thehulltruth.com/10670991-post46.html
  • Options
    Wow, great list.  How's it packaged, and where do you store it?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    By rescue tape you mean duct tape right????

In a pinch a wash rag and 5200 will stop up a hole in the fiberglass hull
  • Options
    Expired flares? Most of the stuff on there I don't know what it is! I'd need a bigger boat to store it all...but, will give this some hard thoughts..
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The coast guard requires i think 3 or 4 in date flares.  Where @Dude_Himself boats the tidal currents  rip and if you cant get an anchor out youll find a disabled boat in open ocean quickly.    The currents, tides, ships, oyster beds, sand bars and boat traffic in the Charleston area can be very dangerous.   A good nav system and knowledge of the area are a must.  I dont think twice to head out 10 miles on either side of the keys but i have not taken any of my boats to Charleston because I'm quite frankly a little intimidated by the navigational challenges.

Charleston is less than 5 hrs from me.  If i did go i would need all coast coast guard safety items just to launch.  Where i boat isn't regulated by the coast guard, there are no coasties on any of the upstate lakes ive been on, only D.N.R. whistle or horn, paddle, fire extinguisher, throw pillow and approved pfd for each passenger are all you are required for safety equipment up here.  

I have a porta potty so my boat i don't think is even compliant with waste regulations lol
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you can't discharge your waste overboard by accident (Y valve in wrong position) you are ok.

The rest of the requirements are fairly common sense.  Flares, nave lights, life vests (to  include throwable), fire extinguishers and working blowers (move air, not just make noise). 

The other items are less obvious like covers on the positive battery terminals,  clean backfire flame arrester, proper vessel registration, placards regarding trash and oil. 

Odds are if you are compliant with the local DNR you are close for CG.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Come on - you guys have RINKERS - you'll never need to ditch unless "ditch bag" is just Rinkeresque for a 40 of tequila, a bag of limes, party snacks and a couple of @JoeStang exes! :-)

:D:D

Be careful what you wish for, not everything that glitters is gold. :#
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't have the covers.  Im upgrading my batteries to (2) group 31 batteries before spring launch and both will be put inside battery boxes with covers in addition to the new straps I've installed.  Along with rebuilding my transom i also rebuilt 1 stinger, one engine mount and the area that the hot water tank/batteries sit.  

Am i also required to have boots over the pos. terminal or is a fully enclosed battery suitable? I feel both is redundant but the costies may want redundancy. 

Im under 26 ft so place cards for oil/trash dont apply but i do have a waste place card in the engine hatch of all places
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Wow, great list.  How's it packaged, and where do you store it?
    One of those ARC Floating Ditch Bags on Amazon for $50 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5O1SJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    By rescue tape you mean duct tape right????

In a pinch a wash rag and 5200 will stop up a hole in the fiberglass hull

No, self-fusing silicone tape, I have plenty of foam and beeswax for the hull. rasbury said:
    Expired flares? Most of the stuff on there I don't know what it is! I'd need a bigger boat to store it all...but, will give this some hard thoughts..

Yeah, there's a small weight penalty and most of the 20+ year old ones I've fired have worked in some capacity. We did a CG drill here a few years back - coordinated with them in advance, went out on the boat someplace conspicuous, the CG made the Security call about our flares, and we set off about a dozen for "practice".

We burned holes in a few gloves - so I added a set to my Ditch kit (not listed). Ever since I've more or less decided to carry whatever is legally required, plus a bunch of marine rescue smoke flares. They're smoke trail is visible on nightvision a ways and by FLIR for miles (as opposed to a 30-sec streak of light). No dripping slag.
  • Options
    I don't have the covers.  Im upgrading my batteries to (2) group 31 batteries before spring launch and both will be put inside battery boxes with covers in addition to the new straps I've installed.  Along with rebuilding my transom i also rebuilt 1 stinger, one engine mount and the area that the hot water tank/batteries sit.  

Am i also required to have boots over the pos. terminal or is a fully enclosed battery suitable? I feel both is redundant but the costies may want redundancy. 

Im under 26 ft so place cards for oil/trash dont apply but i do have a waste place card in the engine hatch of all places
    Correct, if the batteries are in boxes there is no need for the boots.  Basically the idea is that the positive terminals are covered to avoid a spark from something metal making contact between a negative and positive electrical source in the bilge.

Also correct about the <26 foot not needing the signs.  I'd expect the oil sign in the bilge, not trash. 

In many cases if you are boarded by the CG and get a ticket, you can correct the issue and have a VSC done then send the passing VSC form in with the ticket to the address for the ticket.  Helped out a local with that a few years back.  He forgot to put a throwable on his fishing boat and got boarded.

• Options
    Thank you for the info.   There is a huge difference in what the d.n.r. on our local waters requires and what the coast guard requires.

• Options
    You can always request a CG vessel safety check by using the web site http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&category=i-want-a-vsc

• Options
    Never thought about my batteries..they are locked down and do have the boots over the positive terminal so I guess I'm good.. plb? Spare air? Bonnie caps?
  • Options
    PLB = personal locator beacon
    Boonie cap = wide-brim floppy hat for sun protection
    Spare Air = single-use scuba tank
  • Options
    Now, after all that stuff, where do you put people?