vhf with gps vs vhf tied to chart plotter

2»

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    aero3113 said:
    I’m glad the PO didn’t input one.
    It goes with the device so if they did the MMSI transfers to you.
    Yes and no.  An MMSI stays with the radio.  The web site for MMSI allows you to do a transfer, but AFAIK the PO has to do it.  You can try going to the MMSI site and seeing if there is a "claim" function.  I believe when I traded in my center console last year I went on the MMSI site and released the MMSI I had put into the radio.

Never heard of them charging for MMSI, but then I've been a member since I've owned a boat.

You can have more than one MMSI.    

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You can have more than one MMSI number and you can also use the same MMSI number for multiple units.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    You can have more than one MMSI number and you can also use the same MMSI number for multiple units.
    I understand what you're saying but to clarify, the MMSI registration includes a vessel description and registration info so if they have to come looking for you they know what to look for. So you'd have to be careful with multiple MMSI's to tie them to each vessel. As far as I know anyway.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I think I remember filling in “Blue Kayak” also along with my boat description and registration, I could be wrong. I think there was a separate line.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I have different MMSI for different things.  One for the 342, one for the center console and one for the hand-held.  Same owner info, different boat info.

I'd want to make sure the release/transfer of MMSI took place.  While the boat info may not change, the name could, and the contact info (to include contacts ashore) would.

While you can use the same MMSI in multiple things, you lose some of the value of the info collected in the MMSI system.  

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Willhound said:
    Just curious, do you need to show proof of radio competency to get one in the U.S.?
    Competency?!  That would exclude too many US boaters.  Don't get me started.  
  • Options
    Same issue here in Canada too. Legally you need the course and license to operate the radio but not to own it or have it in the boat. So they have to catch you using it which rarely happens. Most idiots justify it with the idea that it's only there for an emergency and if they make a mayday call with no licence they won't be charged. But temptation always takes hold and they end up using it like a CB. Rant over.
  • Options
    @Willhound is there an online manual for the license course?  I'm curious what they cover.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    https://www.cps-ecp.ca/course-catalog/
    Course only offered in class by the Canadian Powerboat and Sailing Squadron and the book is proprietary to them and they tightly control the contents. Test is both written and verbal with various radio scenarios .
    Edit: the course description pretty much shows what they cover. I enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. They even covered a bit of navigation, I think as a teaser to the Nav courses they also offer.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willhound is right, no online course for the VHF radio license (ROC). There's a practical, they basically make you spell out your last name using the phonetic alphabet, and then simulate a mayday or a panpan call.

From what I remember, ANYONE who has a radio, can listen in, and actually by law is required to monitor channel 16.  But to hail on VHF you need the ROC.  In an emergency (mayday, not panpan), people would normally chose to risk a fine and call the mayday, in the event they do not have a ROC ...

Having a ROC is a good idea if you want to transient in different ports, as you can hail the marina office before you enter and get the reservation in action (they'll tell you what doc to slip at, etc.).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Since that course is not readily available to US citizens I take it we're exempt.  I've used my VHF to hail marinas on the Canadian side.  Nobody waggled a finger at me.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one will pick it up if you are hailing properly and using the radio properly. It's the guys that are like "Larry, can you hear me ... are you fishing, what depth?  Oh by the way, we brought hotdogs for lunch, you guys doing anything later on? How's the kids?"  and of course on Channel 16.

But the law would state that in Canadian water you need a ROC to use the radio, no matter what country you were born in.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    My current fix mount vhf does not have dsc and I want to upgrade.  Do I have to run new wires for the dsc or should it be plug and play?

also is the gx2000/2200 the go to or are there other models you recommend?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    My current fix mount vhf does not have dsc and I want to upgrade.  Do I have to run new wires for the dsc or should it be plug and play?

also is the gx2000/2200 the go to or are there other models you recommend?
    I think it will depend on your chart plotter harness. Hopefully the wiring is tucked away behind it. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270 - gx2200 has GPS built in so it's ready go as soon as you get the MMSI.

gx2000 requires that you tie it into your chartplotter to get GPS so there is some wiring there...but it should be easy to wire up.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @06Rinker270 - I'm going to get the gx2200 eventually...I like the hailer and listen back feature it offers as well.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    So it connects to my Lowrance chart plotter? I will pull apart and see if I can snap some pictures.

Doesn’t the hailer require you to install a hailer horn?

thanks for the tips.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    It needed to be connected to the chart plotter for the GPS location.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    What about the gx1400?  Built in gps
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    What about the gx1400?  Built in gps
    I’m not familiar with it but seems like it’s an all in one unit.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    If it has built in GPS...then it's stand alone and does not need a chart plotter
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Do Standard Horizon have a standard opening they fit into are have others had to open the hole in the dash a bit?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    I think standard. When I got the Rinker I took my near new VHF (SH) from the Bayliner and swapped over without any cutting or filling on either.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Just spoke to Standard Horizon and they said every model they make is slightly different cut out size.  I need to measure my cut out.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270