Options

2004 342 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being that inboard boats ran points and condenser into the 90s im sure you're not the only one who had to figure out the acc key position to use the radio.

If you left a point and condenser operated boat ignition switch in the on position, not running, it super heats the coil and can burn it up....ask me how i know!!!

I've only burnt a coil but ive heard it can burn up the resistor,  condenser and possibly the points too.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    On the 310 it was the port key. Right underneath the ignition was a spare ACC switch that I moved that wire over to. I get it that pulling the keys shuts all off but being on shore power at dock if I leave it on - and I do now and then when I am floating around and people know I am - it’s no big deal and won’t flatten the battery.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    MinaMina Member Posts: 43
    We’re going to finish the survey Tuesday morning. I’m looking forward to testing the radio suggestion, Thanks for the advice, would the same be true for the windshield wipers?
    Ken Walker 2004 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Wipers shouldn't require key to be on. But there is a breaker button down below the helm probably that might be popped. A new wiper motor isn't that expensive but getting at it to change it is a bear.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Also, you can't trust the hour meters on the helm tachometers.  As Rinker forum members have known for several years, some Faria hour meters will accumulate time when you turn the key to operate the stereo.  If one engine reads much higher hours than the other, that might be why.  

If you want accurate hours, gotta read them from the engine computers. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with LR, before purchase I’d have a tech plug in to get actual hours and codes. I did that before purchase as did the guy who bought from me. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    If he uses a PC it will also display hours at certain RPM ranges so gives you an idea if it’s been run hard over it’s life.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old side by side test of the 342 with B-3’s Vs Inboards. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to have pics soon or your membership is cancelled! Good luck and hope everything works out.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a really low price for that boat assuming no major issues.  Sounds like a heck of a deal.  Hope it all works out.  

BTW the survey will provide an appraised value.  It should be higher than your purchase price.  If not then you may want to re-think.  But based on what you've mentioned you should be fine.

Congrats on the "new to you" boat.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Rasbury, Why would my membership be cancelled over the lack of pics?
  • Options
    Because we want to see pics of the boat from a new member? Just a running joke/request, don't get to wound up.
  • Options
    Oh, okay.  I’ll take some tomorrow when we’re doing the sea trial and hull inspection.  The listing is with Gulf South Yacht Sales.  It’s also on Yacht World.  She’s currently in Mandeville, Louisiana.
  • Options
    https://moreboats.com/boats/rinker/342-fiesta-vee-express-cruiser/291270

Nice boat.  

Take a close look at the cockpit stereo speakers.  If they are original, the cones are probably shot.  It will sound like crap, but don't be disappointed.  The stereo sounds great with decent speakers.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Great looking boat!  This will be a great forum while you learn how things work and how to fix things on your new boat.  Congrats!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    John41John41 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Great looking boat. Awesome price!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ??waiting for results from sea trail??
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Sounded like...
  • Options
    Sea Trial went very well. Some minor issues with the steering and port side rudder. The hull is in great condition, no blisters or signs of repair of prior problems. The Surveyor was impressed with the condition of the hull given the age of the boat. She ran well and the trim tabs did a fine job of getting her leveled out at speed.  The speedometer doesn’t work due to a missing part at the end of the tube. The Tachs seemed to be out of calibration but started to come around on the trip back from the haul out yard. Mechanic says that’s probably because the boat has been sitting for a while.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Doesn't sound like any bad enough to break the deal. Good luck with the purchase.
  • Options
    I did try the stereo with the key in the Acc position and the breaker switch on but still nothing. Is there a fuse behind the head unit or something else I should look for? Also the wiper motor isn’t working. Is that an expensive/difficult replacement?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Great news! On my 330 the head unit does have an inline fuse on the power wire (behind the unit).
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There might actually be two fuses, one on the power (red) wire and one on constant (yellow) wire,
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The stereo system has three power leads:
    * Main power to the amplifiers (probably hidden down under the v-berth)
    * Power to the head unit (control unit, down in the cabin)
    * "Remote on" lead - a wire from the ignition switch to the head unit that tells the stereo when to turn on

Does anything happen at the head unit when you turn it on?

Replacing the starboard wiper motor is a 2-hour DIY job for $100.  It'll be similar to this:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/1428/windshield-wiper-motor-on-370

You should probably download the 342 wiring schematics that are posted somewhere.  If you don't find them, let me know and I'll re-post.
  • Options
    No, nothing happens when I try to turn it on.  The (Seller’s) Broker says the problem is likely a fuse. I’m thinking if he wants to chase the fuses and gets it working, great. If not, the Seller can pay for the fix. 
  • Options
    This is my equipment
  • Options
    I have the same..my remotes do not work anymore so I disconnected it...not a big deal but if I could replace I would...I assume they are long obsolete.
    Boat looks nice! Would appreciate some inside pictures. My 270 is the only rinker I have been on so always curious what other layouts look like, especially the interior. If I only had a stand-up conventional shower I think I could live on a boat. Sitting on the can with a shower wand is not a big seller to the admiral. We are spoiled...I live the boat. Hope to be on the water this weekend...
  • Options
    There is no power going to the head unit because even when off the screen still lights up. It bothers who ever sleeps in the bow. That CD player is obsolete. 
  • Options
    Thanks Reneechris14, I’m not too worried about the CD changer, if I can get it working that would be fine but no big problem if I can’t.