What do you do with your dinghy motor?

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
I have been storing mine in the transom locker, but a recent faulty and leaky gas cap gasket has me reassessing where to put it. Fumes heading down the locker vents and into the engine bay is not good. On my 360 there are some rails on the transom but none of them are ideal. I was thinking of making my own mount using u-bolts and teak but the motor would either block my transom shower and shore power outlets, or impede on the rumble seat and hinder the looker from opening. Has anyone come up with a good spot and and an economical solution?

Comments

• Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    weaver has a motor mount that bolts to the transom. it has a quick release and can be taken off so no one trips on it. super easy to move to dinghy or back to bracket. mine is a 9.9 merc around 90lbs.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Well, I keep mine in the locker, so that's not much help for you.  I do like LG's idea, especially for a larger engine.  Mine is just a 3.3hp weighing 28lbs.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I bought the 4hp and it didn't fit in the outboard storage locker. I didn't like laying it down on the galley floor, so I built a mount to that uses the pole of the table and can be used down below or on the deck. It has worked out great this summer, as its out if the way when we are docked or if we are not using the dinghy when we are out on the water. Don't know if I have a picture directly of the mount but I do have one of it in the background. Look on the right side of the picture.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my 3.3 for the reason it fits in the locker and it's light!  I see a lot around me with them mounted on the swim platform, more critical for 4-strokes since they don't like to be on their sides.  I just take extra care about making sure the gas cap is tight, vent closed and the fuel valve closed. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Picture didn't upload
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Weber, Nice pic...C.O.D on-board ;) lmao. I remember when the list of stuff to bring only included a fishing pole and few beers. Now it takes an hour to load a mountain of gear, I don't even bring a pole and the cooler is huge. We are creatures of comfort now.......hey, hand me that game controller and put on the fishing game;)

After cruising in mid sized boats for years we have been through just about every combination of dinghy/engine/mount and still don't have the perfect answer as I get even lazier trying to stow, wrestle, work around dinks and motors. In some spots they're a boon, in (most) others just a pia that are constantly in the way. I'll be looking forward to some fresh ideas. LG certainly has a sweet setup. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    I put a second tv in the aft cabin and connected both tv's with a hdmi splitter to a ps3. Games and movies for the kids.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I like LG's setup, but not sure I want that metal female piece to the bracket on the platform.  Between grille, davits, ladder, the edge of the platform is getting crowded, and my kids already stub their toes.  It sounds like a good spot is a perpetual problem on cruisers. 

I am getting a new cap and extra gasket for the fuel tank tomorrow.  Apparently a leaky top is pretty common with Tohatsu.  This will have to be the short term fix before our trip to Block/Cuttyhunk/Vineyard while I troubleshoot a better option.

• OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    The Weaver Lever . . . .
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    thank you tiki...

@ Craig

I agree on the female bracket but it has worked out nicely. I was concerned about catching toes but since its near the davit its easy to see and has not been an issue for anyone, even the kids. there is a transom bracket option but I did not want more holes drilled near or on the truck area. love the leaver set up but didnt want all the extra gear on the step and dinghy plus lot more money...