Options

Need a foot oil fill plug gasket ring in a pinch??

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
This little guy came out of a very common Briggs and Stratton 491588 carb kit, the individual part number is 271716.  Available in stens, rotary, oregon, etc after market too.  

So if in a pinch and the marina is out or a lawn mower shop is closer drop by and get one of the guys.  If you change your foot oil seasonally like you're supposed to (dont just a dude with a boat)  keep a few of these in your stash, they are about 2 bucks each. If you're in good with the tech he probably has a dozen in his carb rebuild box he will give you one or two.  

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Bro that’s the wrong gasket period
    you should be using yellow compression type

those are known to break
  • Options
    There are some kohler, Kawasaki and even old Tecumseh rings that also fit. If in doubt bring the plug or a 3/8 bolt.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The alpha one (gen 2 and mc1)  that i have around the house as well as the old 290 volvo penta have paper rings on all of them.  Maybe the yellow ring is a new improved ring? Im removing the remnants of a paper one as we speak.   

And yes they can tear, i consider them one time use being paper,  you're not usually going to over torque a flat blade screw.

Out of all the outdrives i service(family and friends)  i have yet to see a yellow one.  The newest i service is a 2001. 
  • Options
    Quick Google search. Looks like Sierra plug/washer kit is paper.

Quick silver/merc is blue or yellow.

I dont have an alternative to the squish style and im not sure if the blue merc is paper or not, i seem to think my SEI outdrive on the rinker used a blue paper ring but that's been a month or two ago.
  • Options
    Just verified my sei had a blue paper bottom gasket, top also blue paper.  Not sure if they are oem or not from sei...this boat was from a dude who just owned a boat