Options

Cut in Bimini Canvas

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
After washing my bimini top I was looking it over and found a couple of cuts. The cuts are in the area that the support pole gets zippered in at the back. It looks like someone replacing the zipper got a little too aggressive with the razor blade. They’re very minor, I don’t think stitching is necessary. I think I can get away with using some type of sealant or glue. Does anyone know of a good rubberized product that will work (Black in color).

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aero what is on the other side? Is the cut all the way through or is it just in an undernieth piece of fabric not visible outside?
    i worked in a sailmaker shop for a decade doing canvas and I do all my own canvas work as I have a machine, there are fabric glues out there but they won’t last once the wind starts pulling. You may be able to put some hand stitches in to keep it all together 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    The canvas is on the other side, you’re looking at the rubberized coating on the bottom. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Since it’s a rubberized coating I was thinking I would scuff it lightly and put the glue on it. Maybe even a vinyl patch?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you melt it with a soldering iron?  I have a soldering iron with different tips, one looks like a trowel that would be perfect for such a task.  Do you have some old canvas laying around to test?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    A patch is worth a try, if it holds awesome, if not you can get some UV coated black thread from a local canvas/sail repair shop to sew. Really though this shouldn’t be a very expensive repair, may be worth taking it in to a shop and asking how much to do it right. They may just tell you to hang on and charge you $20 for a quick repair, we used to do that a lot for stuff like that...paid for a case of beer on Friday afternoon! 

• Options
    @YYZRC , if the rubber coating was thicker the soldering iron might work. @Liberty44140 , I’m going to speak to a guy I know at the airport who will have some ideas, I’m going to talk to him before I do anything. He’s really good with a sewing machine, he does aircraft interiors and everything else you can think of. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give another vote for patches.  
  • Options
    If I had black 5200 I would put a couple of coats on it. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    You can tint epoxy resin.  It will absorb into the canvas as well, id still want a patch material for strength.

Small boats are built with wood skeleton and epoxy resin soaked canvas.  Im sure planes have been built the same.  Isn't some carbon fiber built with epoxy?
  • Options
    I should also note it would not be flexible anymore with epoxy.  Shed keep whatever shape she dries in.
  • Options
    @PickleRick , since I will be applying it to the underside that’s rubberized, it won’t get absorbed. Yes, many aircraft use carbon fiber and composites today. The SNJ aircraft that I managed with the air show team had dope and fabric flight controls.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It pays to have friends who know what they’re doing! My contact at the airport took the bimini to his shop yesterday, he walks in this morning with it all stitched up. There were a couple of other slices in the same area did didn’t go through but he reinforced them also. He even gave me a sample piece of how he supported it under the patch. He used some sort of woven vinyl, very strong. He wouldn’t except any money or lunch!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    She’s all waterproofed and ready to go! I really soaked it and rubbed it in with gloves on.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Perfect! Great repair and will last the life of the canvas. Great friend!

• Options
    I flitzed the frame and waxed it, LoL! There were little rust stains that were bothering me. Looks like new now! I also put the top back on the frame.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spread mine out on the deck and gave it a good scrub tomorrow going to polish the isinglass.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @reneechris14 , I cleaned and polished my isinglass in the fall. Made a huge difference having It laid down on a hard surface to polish rather then trying to polish them installed on the boat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    edited March 2020
    aero3113 said:
    @reneechris14 , I cleaned and polished my isinglass in the fall. Made a huge difference having It laid down on a hard surface to polish rather then trying to polish them installed on the boat.
    I agree.  I do this every fall.  I also pressure wash all my cockpit carpets in the fall.  While I'm at it, I  clean the dinghy like new in the fall.  Did I say I wax the boat in the fall before I cover it too?  It all makes for an easy spring with nothing sitting dirty all winter. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express