Options

Bilge coating is chipping off......

dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Anybody experiencing their fiberglass coating chipping or peeling off in the engine compartment? It's the white fiberglass with the black splatter paint.

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Yup.   Mine cracks off in chunks the size of a drink coaster.   I just use 5200 marine adhesive and bond the chunks back on. Looks ok. 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I do the same as MVN.
  • Options
    browncbr1browncbr1 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I have the same issue on my 2005 270... It seems like they skipped rough sanding the fiberglass before painting. It probably would have been fine, but with age, chemicals, etc,,. I guess it's one of the details that makes rinker a little more economical than the other boat makers. In my opinion, reprinting is a waist or time and money, as the problem seems to stem from the fact that the fiberglass wasn't roughed up to begin with. ;)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RinkerYan, I had a decent size chip come off in the bilge area of my new EC 310. Being OCD I wanted to sand, prime and epoxy paint the area. The gel coat guru in our area who is a legend said "clean the area, make sure it is dry, using a paint brush coat the area with 5200 or sikaflex and stick the chip back on. Then wipe the excess off around the edge making sure to not take too much off. He said even if I lost the chip to just use the 5200 or sikaflex and use a flat drywall knife to make it smooth. He said no epoxy paint or gel coat would last in the bilge unless he did a major job in the area - which he didn't recommend. Good luck! MT