Changing impeller and making a stand

Any of you guys change your own impeller? I ordered one last night. Going to give it a go. On this boat I have no  idea when or if it's ever been changed. Watched a bunch of videos on it. Seems pretty simple. Found this picture on another site of a stand a guy built. I may try and make me one. Got  plenty of scrap wood to do it. Some are welding up a metal stand or buying  some that roll on wheels.  Guess you could get by without one but looks like it would make it a lot easier.

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive never used one to take apart my alpha.  I built one on top of a piano dolly to remove my much heavier volvo penta.  You just adjust the trailer jack to the right height and roll in or out.   I have an engine hoist at the house now so i didn't build one for the alpha.  

If i were doing more than one or 2 a year id build one. Im trying to cut down on the amount of other peoples repairs i do at the house.  

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have to remove the drive? I had an alpha II and I had to split the drive but not remove it to change the impeller.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Do you have to remove the drive? I had an alpha II and I had to split the drive but not remove it to change the impeller.
    You don’t have to remove the drive to replace the impeller on an alpha, you can split it. Make sure you install the small o-ring between the half’s and make sure the water tube is lined up weather the drive is removed or you just split the half’s.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭
    Never knew Merc was in the drive. Is there not one on the engine like Volvo?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    I consider bellows a seasonal change item. Could maybe do two seasons on a lift but on the trailer my drive is up a good bit during transport, same when backed up to the beach,   i dont want to risk a tear.  While the drive is off i swap my impeller.  I have done it both ways,  my lower back prefers the drive being off.  I know you're not supposed to do the impeller in the fall but i always do, with plenty of grease.  Ive yet to have an issue.  The kicker on my sailboat i do every 3rd season, i can see a healthy pee stream at all times on it so i dont mind the risk.  If it were to fail id just have to sail in.

A dab of rtv on that o ring between halves will keep it in place.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Never knew Merc was in the drive. Is there not one on the engine like Volvo?
    Bravo/Bravo 3 are in the engine bay, Alpha is in the drive.
    2008 330EC
    I have the volvo crank driven impeller, i wish i could use it on my alpha.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When spilting the drive don't forget the boat under the anode.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ask me how I know about lining up that tube...never mind, don't.....it ain't pretty if it is not is all I'm sayin...
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    I have used my Black and Decker workmate to hold the lower unit when changing the impeller.  It is strong enough and the jaws on the workmate allow a nice secure fit when it is tightened around the lower unit..
    rasbury said:
    ask me how I know about lining up that tube...never mind, don't.....it ain't pretty if it is not is all I'm sayin...

I reassembled my alpha pick up tube the same way the PO did.  The little couple that fits the pump housing was upside down. Thus it popped off easily.  I found the issue quickly then used an online parts breakdown to find how it was supposed to attach.  

So you're not the only one to lose a day on the water due to install error