Options

Anyone else changing plans for this summer?

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    The NY Canal system doesn’t open till mid May so while I can launch on the Hudson where I store, I can’t get her home until the canal opens.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I usually launch April 1st.  Currently my boat yard is closed for the lockdown and I can't work on the boat.  And the harbor is also closed so I couldn't slip in if I could anyways.  Hoping for May 1 this year.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Wow, April 1st is early! I agree with you, around here I think its going to be early May before most marinas are open & launching.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm keeping mine at home I think for a while...if I end up at home, will have stuff to do...I don't sit well.
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @joestang = probably not much traveling for baseball or weddings
    we just cancelled our daughters/4-24 as we go on 30 day shut down = springfield mo / table rock lake
    we are / were being splashed this saturday 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The launch of the 342 will be delayed due to the lock down.  She shod already have the shrink cut and was going.  But that has to wait.  I do plan to put the little boat in and get her to our seawall soon.  The only big trip we have planned is trailering the little boat up North again.  Plan to take the 342 to Georgian Bay next year.

Our boat club may not be having many rendezvous since the water level is high and some marinas are closed.

So yeah, plans will change.  We'll roll with them.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree Stodge, I got worked up for a minute about all of this, the obvious delay in the summer, etc... and had to just stop. Completely out of our control. Only thing we can do is stay inside as the faster the numbers decline, the faster we are floating!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    @joestang = probably not much traveling for baseball or weddings
    we just cancelled our daughters/4-24 as we go on 30 day shut down = springfield mo / table rock lake
    we are / were being splashed this saturday 

Agreed. I really hope the weddings dont get messed up, because as much as I dont want to go to 6 weddings, I want all of them to go as planned and not under this cloud of crap.

Kinda same thing with baseball. I dont always love it, but its his last season and he's been doing it since 6 years old. So it would be a pretty crappy way to end his travel baseball career.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    My sons wedding got postponed. It really is a shame as all these wedding are planned years in advance. Cost tons of $$$$$ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    After weeks of finally getting our group to agree on a date of May 1st for our annual "guys fishing trip", that is sort of up in the air for now, not knowing the future.  Getting 6 guys to agree on the same weekend is like herding cats haha.   I'm planning on going, until further notice!   So far, Lake Powell is open, with limited services, none of which I typically use. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard Georgia closed all public boat ramps on Hartwell.  As of now SC is still open, i see boats fueling up nearly daily.  

If they close down on my side Hartwell i have a private ramp or two i can use so long as the water level stays where it is.  

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard Georgia closed all public boat ramps on Hartwell.  As of now SC is still open, i see boats fueling up nearly daily.  

If they close down on my side Hartwell i have a private ramp or two i can use so long as the water level stays where it is.  

If you're allowed off your property. I know a lot of you are having a hard time getting your heads around this. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and all that jazz. But if things like public ramps are closing it's for a reason.... 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Really?  How much human exposure is involved in using a boat ramp?  I mean, Sweet Grandmother's Spatula ... let people use their boats.   
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It's not the use of the ramp. It's the drive to and from. Where a lot of people will stop for gas. Or a snack. Or perhaps have an accident and need EMS. Or get a flat and need AAA. And contact people all alomg the way. The only areas that are even getting a handle on this thing are the areas where people are absolutely not moving unless they have to. I love my boat as much as the next guy. But my life, or the lives of those around me aren't worth me travelling around for no valid reason. Hence my first line above. "If you're allowed off your property." Lots of areas locking down because of too much travelling around for frivolous reasons. This virus is highly contagious, can live on all kinds of surfaces and is no made up fake news.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are closing things down left and right in FL. Soon you wont be able to go boating unless the boat is behind your house at your dock. 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Message from my marina in the U.K.

As from today, we are therefore taking the following steps:

• Our customers should not be visiting our marinas or boatyards, but should be following government advice and avoiding all non-essential travel, including visiting their boat.
    • We have closed our marina receptions. Most of our office-based staff are now working remotely, so please do pick up the phone or email as you normally would. They will do their best to answer any questions or enquiries you may have about berthing, boatcare or the operation of the marina. You can continue to make payments in all the usual ways, including through our online portal.
    • We are respectfully asking customers not to “quarantine” or “isolate” themselves on their boats. You should remain in your primary residence.
  • Options
    Im not exactly fond of the idea of a stay at home order, seems like government well over stepping their boundaries.  A police state is not my idea if liberty

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Up here in Canada we call those people Covidiots.
  • Options
    Idiots being idiots is part of human nature.  Zuit suit riots, Rodney King riots, hurricane parties, Clemson fans, Philadelphia having to grease light posts after a super bowl win, all great examples of idiots.

Avoid these people or just wash your hands and sanitize after coming in close contact with anyone or anything someoene has touched.  Be smart and treat everyone like they have it.  I didn't buy all those condoms in my 20s because every woman i dated carried an std, i treated each one as if they did so i was able to avoid getting any. 

It's not the governments job to teach common sense, that job belongs to parents. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's why this country is so screwed!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I just filled my truck just across the line in Ohio at $1.48/gallon for 87 octane. It's still $2.29 here. The one in Ohio is about 15 miles away and we had to go 1/2 way there anyway to drop off wifes car payment. Diesel was 2.63 there.

Has the ethanol free dropped any? Last year on our river it was still 4.99 but a station not far from us had it for $4.15.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    That’s about right time wise - we arrived here in December 2000 and it was around that price. I remember after 9/11 the panic to change pumps that didn’t have displays for other than the 1 as the first digit.

I recall filling up a rental after a trip here in 1999 and it was around $1.10

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its funny the gas is so cheap now and we can't go anywhere!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Its funny the gas is so cheap now and we can't go anywhere!!!

The ole supply and demand.  No demand because nobody can go anywhere, so price goes down.  (there are other reasons of course, the whole "let's go much lower and get Russia out of the equation".

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I have an empty clean blue plastic 55 gallon drum. Temped to go fill that up too. Take my step-son's trailer so I can use the dolly to unload it when I get home.

Oddly, last year I was told it was illegal to haul more than 30 gallons of fuel in PA. Can't remember the specifics but I had a 30 gallon tank that the marina owns. Filled that and 2 5 gallon cans and one of the guys at the marina told me that it was technically illegal.
  • Options
    Make sure that blue barrels is gasoline rated.  Gas likes to liquify unapproved plastics then it gels in your fuel system.  
  • Options
    Good call. I would have to check that out. They are the same type of thick blue plastic that we used to store acid in at the steel mill I worked at. But I will still check them out if I decided to go that route
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No changes, going to drag that supercharged Waverunner around to lakes and rivers for some fun. Don't have to worry about someone getting within 6 feet of me 'cause ain't nothin' out there can catch me. Ha ha
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry to say this my friends but as long as your Commander In Chief continues to think this virus is a joke and thinks that he can open his country in a couple of weeks you are in for a lot of pain. There is grumblings in Ontario (Canada) that all marinas will be closed this year. I wish for everyones health and safety at this very vulnerable time .
  • Options
    Shutting down the economy for months is not an acceptable answer.  There wouldn't be anyting to come back to.  

This isnt tuberculosis that lives in the air.  You have to touch a surface an infected person has touched or coughed/sneezed on or stand so close they can touch/cough/sneeze on you.

Keep your distance.  Wash your hands and sterilize any common surfaces.  Keep working.  If you are in a high risk category laws need to be passed that you can't be fired and can file for unemployment until it passes, could be a year or two. 

How many of you have kids?  When your little one was in day care/school and they came home blowing out both ends with the stomach flu what did you do?  You sterilized the entire house, all toys, the car and diaper bag.  You didn't want other kids or anyone else getting it.   Preventing this is no different.

Being out in our boats, taking a mountain drive, sitting in your own car at a drive in movie theater or even walking on a beach can all be done safely if you practice common sense.  There will be idiots out there who dont follow these simple techniques.  Its up to you, not our government to distance ourselves from them.

Great time for buisnesses that manufacturer sanitation products.