Options

Rinker 270 FV - backup outboard engine?

Any ideas or photos on how to mount a back up outboard engine ? 

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of it being done, and if you Google it a bunch of pics of various mounts come up but all require a mount bolted full time to the swim platform like the one in the pic. Hooking up remote steering is a lot tougher than the salmon trolling set ups with outboard boats that use a link rod between the main motor and the kicker so you'd have to use an extension arm and steer from the transom. I thought I remembered someone a while back showing pics of a 270 set up for fishing but can't remember if they had a kicker or not.
    I troll for Lake Trout with my 270 but just use the main engine and throw a couple of drift anchors out to slow me down.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked some more and did find a rig for remote steering. but don't think it will work with a swim platform, too much angle and distance from drive unit to outboard.
    Is it for fishing or as a back up/emergency motor you want?

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think someone on the forum installed one on their 2001 242. Came out really nice, I’ll look for the post.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Willhound said:
    I have heard of it being done, and if you Google it a bunch of pics of various mounts come up but all require a mount bolted full time to the swim platform like the one in the pic. Hooking up remote steering is a lot tougher than the salmon trolling set ups with outboard boats that use a link rod between the main motor and the kicker so you'd have to use an extension arm and steer from the transom. I thought I remembered someone a while back showing pics of a 270 set up for fishing but can't remember if they had a kicker or not.
    I troll for Lake Trout with my 270 but just use the main engine and throw a couple of drift anchors out to slow me down.

Hi mate , it’s for a back up. That’s a good set up but Ideally I would like the mount to be easily removable so it’s not always on show or a trip hazard, thanks for replying 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Thanks for sharing, it’s a clever design, just think it would be better if the actual trading could slide out/flip flat.

• Options
    Also need ideas as to how / where to store an engine....am thinking a 6-9hp just enough to punch through the water in case of emergency