Options

Rinker 270 FV - what HP for emergency back up?

Hi all am looking to get an emergency back up engine....am think 6-9hp....what do you think? Is this man enough to push a 3 ton boat? 

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you going to mount it?
  • Options
    MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Where are you going to mount it?
    Hi there, on the swim platform, am also looking for a mount that will either flip up or slide out so it doesn’t ruin aesthetics of the boat or become a trip hazard 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe consider a dinghy and motor instead?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Maybe consider a dinghy and motor instead?
    ...and then tow a 3 ton Rinker!!🤣
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... or drop anchor and call Sea Tow. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Not sure where you are located but honestly I think you're going in the wrong direction. A decent VHF radio with DSC, cell phone and a SeaTow membership and keep up on your maintenance. If it does quit get a tow. And the idea of a dinghy isn't for towing. In a real bad situation like a fire or sinking it can get you off the boat and also be useful if anchored out. Or, if the boat quits and it's safe to do so and there's no contact you get in the dinghy and find help. Trying to find a decent way to mount an outboard would be the last of my options.  But that's just my opinion. We'll keep on looking for an option. Somebody might make a slide on motor mount but you'll still end up with something bolted on your platform.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    ... or drop anchor and call Sea Tow. 
    Hi, thanks for replying, just weighing up options.. am over in the UK, and coastal cruise on the east coast so no tow service other than RNLI or coastguard...
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use 9.9 all day for fishing boats trolling and for back up. Had a 9.9 on my 24 Bayliner cabin cruiser fishing boat. I am sure this would be enough however it may be too much since storage would be a problem. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Not sure where you are located but honestly I think you're going in the wrong direction. A decent VHF radio with DSC, cell phone and a SeaTow membership and keep up on your maintenance. If it does quit get a tow. And the idea of a dinghy isn't for towing. In a real bad situation like a fire or sinking it can get you off the boat and also be useful if anchored out. Or, if the boat quits and it's safe to do so and there's no contact you get in the dinghy and find help. Trying to find a decent way to mount an outboard would be the last of my options.  But that's just my opinion. We'll keep on looking for an option. Somebody might make a slide on motor mount but you'll still end up with something bolted on your platform

Hi Willhound, am in the UK over on the east coast, we don’t have sea tow only coastguard or RNLI. I was going to have a back up so I could be independent, but I agree with your comments....I have a VHF although not a DSC and so should upgrade this as well, thanks for your thoughts though
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh. Ok, makes more sense.  I've seen davit systems for dinghy's that just slide into a flush mount. Nothing to catch feet on. Maybe there's a motor mount like that. Will have to look some more. I can tell you from personal experience that a 6 hp barely pushed my Dad's old 23 foot Bayliner cuddy that was only about 4500 lbs. And if any kind of seas or headwind it went nowhere. A loaded 270 is double that. At a minimum a 9.9 might do it but will still be a handful in any kind of breeze.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @Willhound. I have actually looked into davit engine mounts for my own boat but I have had no luck. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988