Options

maintenance for underwater thru-hulls

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
2006 boat, what is the proper maintenance for under water thru-hull and swim platform support?  Should I put some 5200 around then?   I sanded around them for fresh bottom paint.     

Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your through hull sealant looks like it’s no longer sealing around the pickups. Best thing to do would be remove them, clean the area and reseal with 5200. If your not confident in the swim platform supports, remove the screws and reseal with 5200. Maybe even put a nice bead under the base.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way to seal is 5200 UNDER the thru hull then tighten it back down. Sealant just around it won't do much if anything. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The swim platform brackets are notorious for letting water in. I would back out the screws and reseal.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I re did my swim platform mounts below the waterline. Removed and drilled out wider, the core was dry but I still let it air out for a couple weeks anyway, then I filled with west system epoxy, re drilled and re mounted with 4000 or 4200, whichever is ok below the waterline. Not 5200. I did sand down to gelcoat under the mount so that the sealant sealed to gelcoat and not paint. I don’t have anything against 5200 but I prefer not to use it unless I have to, 4000 or 4200 is completely acceptable below the waterline. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how water can work its way through a screw...I'm going to re seal my Genny thru Hull today if I can get to it...I redid my transom and was good but now have a pretty good leak going again. Sure hard to see water intrusion, especially after everything gets wet...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I thought that would be the thing to do.  I’m guessing I should replace the screws at this time?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    rasbury said:
    I don't understand how water can work its way through a screw...I'm going to re seal my Genny thru Hull today if I can get to it...I redid my transom and was good but now have a pretty good leak going again. Sure hard to see water intrusion, especially after everything gets wet...
    @rasbury , with the weight of people on the swim platform it can put stress on the screws and slightly elongate/loosen the hole and sealant that was applied allowing water to seep in.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Ah...will put those on the list I guess..so if I back out the screws and they are still nice and tight...just reseal? Are there bolts on the other side of the transom? Have never looked to be honest...and get a better look at the thru hulls...raw water was resealed but maybe I knocked it again...
  • Options
    Previous boats that I’ve had were only wood screws, not nut and bolt. If your worried, take the screws all the way out and seal. If they won’t tighten up, you might have to go up a size with the screw. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.  I thought that would be the thing to do.  I’m guessing I should replace the screws at this time?
    If they look like they need replacing, sure. But if not rotted or heads not stripped/worn, then why bother?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I’m thinking I agree @willhound. The rust does have me worried.  Should the underwater thru hulls be painted with antifouling?  Paint platform support rails and where it meets the hull?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I would guess that anything metal should not be but that's speculation on my part. I trailer and fresh water so I don't deal with it at all...