Options

Musings from a boating addict

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
So here we are in New England, 5 months into our “off season” anxiously awaiting splash day. For me and my 270, that day (hopefully) is May 10th.  Our season is typically early May through mid-October, a scant 5 months, the best 5 months of any year! I work in an industry that is considered essential, so I have been straight out working my butt off, not home watching Netflix like so many others. Finally got a couple days off but it’s too cold to paint the bottom today and I’m reluctant to pull off the shrink wrap just yet. I may drive down there to daydream and shoot the breeze (from 6 feet away) with fellow boaters prepping for launch. 

What will the season look like, if it happens at all?  No rafting with friends, no weekends on Block Island or Martha’s Vineyard?  No beers with my buddies on their boats or mine?  I’ve seen posts on other sites that some marinas may not even open?  Oh no, I already paid my summer slip fee! Ours so far is open and staying open. Safe Harbor Sakonnet in Portsmouth RI. I have three weeks of summer vacations planned on my boat! And I was planning to add a dinghy to my list of toys. 

What are others hearing, thinking, hoping for this season? I’m cautiously optimistic.  Hoping for a great season for all of us!

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I was just having coffee with the admiral saying the marina has to give us a refund if the season is a bust right?  What about the extended stay in winter storage?  It's all going to cost $$

What if it's late July / August.  I would bother at that point..just leave it in storage
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking to my cousin about this, I would think some sort of refund should be given (Hopefully it won’t get to this). 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hanging at the pool today...boat is out front. Busy week so just chilling...going to pick up some blue crabs in a bit. Was on the boat last weekend so hanging here today...Ramos are still all open but some of the costal ones closed to hold down the same bar parties...sucks!
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    I went down to the marina today to sand the bottom of my boat and get it ready for paint. Honestly I just wanted to go down there to unwind and say hi to others getting their boats prepped.  I’m going to hold off on pulling the shrink wrap until I get a definite that the marina will put boats in.  They are open now but who knows what the state might mandate. Shrink wrapping is expensive and if the season is a bust I’ll just leave it.  I’d probably cut a door in the shrink wrap and replace the damp rids though. And pretend I’m out in the bay! 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    aero3113 said:
    I was talking to my cousin about this, I would think some sort of refund should be given (Hopefully it won’t get to this). 
    well my contract is up April 15th and that’s the first day the rack and store building usually opens. I have decided to trailer this year so if I am unable to get my boat upon expiration of my contract due to marina being closed I will definitely refuse to pay any additional storage fees they try to charge me. I don’t think they will, but I have already prepared the hothead in me to argue lol. 
    Check your contracts - Force Majeure provisions may apply to both you and the marina

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Our boat is in storage in an underground mine but I'm scheduled to pick it up Wednesday morning. Worst case I bring it home and get everything ready and it sits in the driveway all summer. If that's the case it should be in pristine condition for next season but let's hope it doesn't get to that.

A couple weeks ago a guy from our marina set up a Facebook Live meetup. Today he scheduled a virtual raft up for 3:30 today...lol. So we are at least keeping in contact in some way. We just got done working in the basement and garage and I'm a little too ragged to do a FB live thing...lol