Options

What are you spending your stimulus check on?

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im removing the back to back seats in the rinker and replacing them with two of these.  I will either reuse the boxes the current seats rest on or build my own, i wont know until they arrive.

I will use what's remaining to buy new oem mercuriser manifolds and risers.  

With the current economy tanking/marinas closed i will not be able to sell my sailboat or shore line trailer for what i think they are worth any time soon.  I found a bayliner 2859 3 hrs from me for 5k obro but i need a trailer.  A trailer can be had for less than 5k but i need to move boats before I have room for another rehab project.  I will not sell the rinker until my next bigger boat has not only splashed but all buggs worked out.  

Im fortunate to have all vehicles/home paid for so i am going to do my part to stimulate the economy by spending.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using our checks to offset what we owe the IRS
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I work from home and so far it seems like my job is safe. My wife is a teacher and so far has been teaching her class from him. So far our plan is to bank it away just in case things go south for us. We don't really have anything on a wish list that is critical. I mean we want new carpet for the family room  and a few other odds and ends. Maybe after everything calms down and gets back to normal we will get that carpet. Maybe a tonneau cover for my new truck..lol
  • Options
    Laying carpet sucks.  Did it in both bedrooms and then properly reinstalled it in the living room where i traded some renovation work for rent back when this was my rental home.  

The admiral is management for a grocery store so she's going to keep work.  My boss keeps telling me we are on the essentials list but I've seen no paper work.  

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is going straight to bills.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Bills are such a Debbie downer...i wanna see goodies for boating!!!   Where is your whimsy!!!
  • Options
    Laying carpet sucks.  Did it in both bedrooms and then properly reinstalled it in the living room where i traded some renovation work for rent back when this was my rental home.  

The admiral is management for a grocery store so she's going to keep work.  My boss keeps telling me we are on the essentials list but I've seen no paper work.  

Our house is all hardwood and ceramic tile except the family room. We got a bid last year and it was about $2k. The room is about 23'x14'. We have a small entry way that is about 3'x5' with carpet but we had talked about tiling that so that is on the list too but not too high on that list.
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Seems like the companies that make boat parts are going to make out well during this.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibly a basement fireplace :).  I don't think this is free money though...we are all going to pay for it in the long run
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I think its gross misuse of tax payers dollars, the admiral and i are both working thru the entirety of this and don't deserve a dime.  Then again i have guys on disability who want to collect my 55 gallon drums of scrap metal, heavy a$$ scrap metal, that's right they cannot work but can lift, load and unload hundreds of pounds of scrap metal. 

So i figure, why not put my share to good use.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Wife has 2 former students that are sisters. The younger one is 31 the older about 2 years older. The younger has never had a job in her life other than occasionally babysitting and occasionally cleaning house for her aunts cleaning business. Both under the table. The older one is on welfare and the younger one gets SSI because she has a lazy eye and claims she can't work. According to them they will both be given these stimulus checks. The older one has 2 kids and the father of those kids is in jail. The younger one is married with no kids and her husband works in the parts department of a local RV store. His store closed so he will be out of work but the older sister will have no change in her income. The older one lives with her parents. Definitely a waste of taxpayer dollars when neither have ever had a job. The older one attended college briefly when she was younger but her boyfriend was a thug and she found she could live off the system so quit school.
    At this point me and my wife are not affected financially yet. There is a chance my wife may lose her income as a teacher down the road though
  • Options
    I had a very close friend develop a rare genetic disorder causing tumors to randomly form all over her body.  At the same time her bones were beginning to deteriorate.

She went from 110 lbs to over 300 due to a brain tumor.   She had one grow on her spine and some days she didn't have feeling from the waist down

She had married at 18, her husband ran off and left her with 2 kids in her late 20s, one of them autistic.

She was denied disability.  She had to hire an attorney to get 400 a month.  

The ex husbands new wife wanted to be the hero and got sole custody of the kids due to her quickly failing health.  

She survived several brain surgeries, many back surgeries and years of rehab.  She passed at 35 due to complications from her health issues.  She rarely saw her kids the last few years, couldnt afford any independence, had to live with her mom and still couldnt afford all her own food and meds.  She was legally blind due to an inoperable tumor.  She was very depressed her last few years.  She had to move in with her mom over an hour away from her kids.  It was a sad situation. 

I see people at my shop doing landscaping on the side or other manual labor yard work all under the table when they collect a disability check.  They are plenty healthy enough to work.

And there was my friend with xrays and doctors statements stating her many serious health issues.  It's a sickening thought. I wonder, if she wasn't given the assistance she deserved would she have had a better quality of living.  If she had her kids to live for and not sufferd depression would she have lived longer?  

• Options
    tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 45
    I think its gross misuse of tax payers dollars, the admiral and i are both working thru the entirety of this and don't deserve a dime.  Then again i have guys on disability who want to collect my 55 gallon drums of scrap metal, heavy **** scrap metal, that's right they cannot work but can lift, load and unload hundreds of pounds of scrap metal. 

So i figure, why not put my share to good use.
    don t worry scrap prices are down you will make more than them 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stock market.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent that money getting the boat fixed! 
  • Options
    I don't haul out scrap. I usually give it to the retired customers.   Even at 5 bucks a 100lbs it's not worth my time to load and haul it.