Options

fuel stabilizer?

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
getting ready to bring 212 captiva out for summer, what fuel stabilizer do you use and do you use it 1 time a season or every tank? thanks...

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Stabil Marine and I try to use it with every tank however last year I forgot to add it and the boat sat all winter. This spring it ran not so good so I added it in the tank to about 75 gallons of contaminated fuel and after checking a fuel sample I can see it did what it's supposed to and emulsified the water into the fuel. The boat runs much better now. 

I am sure there will be many opinions on this topic. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends how much fuel you burn. If you are using ethanol free gas and running the boat you shouldn't need stabilizer or additive all summer. In fall fill the tank ( less room for condensation moisture, but you'll get varying opinions on this) and then add a good stabilizer for over the winter. If you are using gas with ethanol in it (like I do) then I use a product called Startron which is both a stabilizer and has an enzyme which supposedly helps should there be any moisture in the fuel. Again, you might get different opinions.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Even ethanol free fuel has zero stabilizers from the refinery.  This means a 30 day AVERAGE shelf life.

Dont chance it.  Use stabilizer every fill up or even partial fill up.  Brand doesnt matter, use it.  If you cant find it locally rotary corp will drop ship it to you(stabil marine)  

They are open despite the covid issues.

Our fuel is so poor in the United States Stihl has to change a part in its electric carburetors sold in the USA.

My rinker isnt fancy but it's paid for by bad fuel.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Startron every time you fuel up,makes the boat happy then you can be happy 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....who doesn't burn a tank in 30 days??
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I put fuel in my boat I use Sta-Bil. I use the Marine version. Cheap insurance. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    So....who doesn't burn a tank in 30 days??
    Me!!  I rarely burn more than a half tank in a weekend.  

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been using fuel medic at every gasoline fill up on several boats for years with no complaints 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard good stuff about startron. I think the biggest thing is try to use non ethanol and regardless just keep stabilizer in it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big fan of PRI-G here (and D for diesel). Use at every refuel. All my small engine stuff. Run ethanol free fuel only. No more crap gas problems. 

No way I use a tank a month...235 gallons full. 😆😆

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I use Star-Tron in every tank unless I am running ethanol free then I don't add any
  • Options
    I run ethanol containing fuel in everything. Nearly all new motors are capable of handling it.  The fuel hoses etc are the biggest issue. I am not patient enough to shop around.

I have some fuel i keep in the shop that it is some 4 years old i show customers when they ask about fuel stabilizers. It is 10% ethanol treated with Briggs and Stratton s stabilizer.

To best avoid moisture keep the fuel tank full. Less room for air means less room for humidity to allow water to form in your tank.

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    We use the boat 3-4 days a week in season, but our favorite spots are mostly only 3-4 miles away.  So I will go more than 30 days without a fillip.  Buy only non ethanol gas, but put stabilizer (various kinds) in every fillup.