Options

Electric Propulsion

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Came across an announcement on these guys. An 800HP (800 peak, 400 cruise) inboard system and a 150 HP Outboard with a 300HP and 400HP being promised by next year or so.
https://evoy.no/products/
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Boating without pollution.  Or, to be more accurate, boating for which the same amount of pollution occurs, but it happens somewhere else so you don't feel bad about ignoring it.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That all depends upon where you charge it. All my power comes from hydro so we just kill salmon to charge our batteries 😆
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I can see advantages in this, but only if the motor is outside the boat in place of the stern drive.

For example:-
    No bellows.
    No shaft through the transom.
    No water pickup.
    No exhaust.
    Could gimbal any direction.
    No universal joints or gears.
    No clutch.
    Motor is self-cooled.
    Nearly impossible for the boat to leak.
    Could be removed while boat is in the water.
    Could have two or more motors on the same system.
    Next to no maintenance.

Just need some engineer to design a stern drive type device with an enclosed motor.
    If someone wants to send me approx $500,000 I would consider developing this system myself.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Batteries are filled with hazardous/toxic and corrosive liquids and/ or materials that must be mined from the earth.  When they fail and must be rebuilt or disposed of when they fail.  Its clean but it's not without waste or environmental impact.  Just comes from a different place, same with all the precious metals, resins etc used to produce the electronics that run the motor. 

For a battery bank big enough to push a boat you wont have to cool the motor but you will have to plum water into the boat to cool the batteries, youll still need a water pick up. A tesla is electric and still has a coolant system for the batteries, much lighter load than even a small run about.

I love the concept but i think we are decades away from the battery technology to make this work for the average boaters.