Options

Captiva 209

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
I am considering driving from Pittsburgh PA to Upper Michigan to check out and buy this boat.  Even in this time of 'shelter in place' I think this is too good to pass up.

What are the things to look for to check out this boat?  I do not think there will be a sea trial.  Other than starting the motor and looking at the condition of the bellows is there anything else I can check while it is on the trailer?  The owner claims it is ready for the water. 

here is the link for the boat: https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/alpena-1994-rinker-captiva/7099021715.html

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d at least do a compression check on the engine, can rent a gauge from auto zone free 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 Thanks for your input.  I did not think of the compression check and they are very easy to perform.  I will get this gauge on my trip up to Michigan.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I would do all the usual, check for soft spots in the floor, transom, bilge.  And crawl around underneath it to check how abused the bottom of the boat is.  Sometimes one of that age can be trashed.  Ask for maintenance records.  Check age/condition of battery. Ask what all parts have been replaced, and how recent.  Make sure it has been winterized properly. 
    That is a pretty good price for having a 350mag.  It will run great! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Also, I would specifically ask questions about the outdrive. The boat looks extremely clean for it's age, but a bad outdrive can get expensive in a hurry. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum Thanks for your reply.  I also thought it looked extremely clean and the owner has already told me it runs great.  Can you test the outdrive without a sea trial? 
  • Options
    @rkinross if he's got the earmuffs to put water to it and start it up with,  you can engage it into gear, forward and reverse, making sure there isn't an obvious problem, but it is tough to see in a driveway inspection.  Let us know what you end up doing! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can pressure test it for seal leakage and do the up and down/side to side lift and jiggle to see how the pivots and play are. But no substitute for a sea trial under power.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could negotiate with the seller that you will have a mechanic pull the drive to check the gimbal, bellows, etc and to pressure test the drive. If there are issues, seller pays to remediate. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thank everyone for your advice on this.  I have found a marine mechanic in the Alpena area that agreed to check out the boat for me.  I am scheduled for Monday 4/6 if everything goes as planned.