2000 270 fiesta vee shower sump access

whats the best way to access the shower sump on a 2000 270?   There is a small access hole under the rear mattress but it is not really servicable through that small access hole.  Looks like removing the steps might work. Can anybody outline the process to remove the steps?    Thanks. 

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing the steps is possible but a heck of a job, and very difficult to get solidly back into place. Even if you do, you'll still have to cut a hole in the floor and it will still be tight because if you look that way you should see a stringer coming across.
    As much as it's difficult to get at, you can certainly service that sump from that little access hole. I've had mine completely out twice, once to clean and once to change the pump. Was not that difficult. Certainly much easier than tearing out structure.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • gherkingherkin Member Posts: 45
    My ac pump and filter is taking up most of that hole. There is no way that shower sump comes out that hole unless I remove that first.  Did you remove that stuff to get it out?  
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I pulled my box out through the service hole, I don't have Gen or AC tho.
    gherkin said:
    My ac pump and filter is taking up most of that hole. There is no way that shower sump comes out that hole unless I remove that first.  Did you remove that stuff to get it out?  
    Sorry, I don't have AC either so I can see how that makes it tight. So your call, you can remove that first if you have to or rip the stairs apart. Later model 270's had open steps, much easier, but unfortunately the 99 - 2001 used a plywood box step covered in carpet so a lot trickier to get out and then you still have the issue of the floor underneath the steps and the stringer that runs across in there.
    Personally I'd rather remove mechanical components like the AC pump and not mess with structure, but that's me.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a/c and don't see where I would have any problem pulling mine out...
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a 2002 (different steps though)with ac I replaced my shower sump it comes out with not too much trouble 
    @gherkin my suggestion if you feel you can't do it with the existing opening is to simply enlarge the opening, rather than start tearing steps out, which really doesn't help anyway. You could reinforce the edges of the new opening with some metal strips and cut out a new cover from a suitable material. Don't make a huge hole obviously, just big enough to do what you need to do. If you do it carefully you may be able to just put the cut piece back and reinforce that and then use the stock cover.

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    we hava 06  = not sure if the same
    i found by taking aft mattress out to lay in there while working behind the stairs...in that space worked best for me
    i had no problems removing/installing shower sump
  • gherkingherkin Member Posts: 45
    All, Got this figured out without any cutting.  Pried the side of the steps off going into the aft cabin, the top of the first step and the very front of the steps.  At this point you have access to all the screws to take the steps completely out.  Then I had easy access to the bilge area, which turned out nice because I had a very small leak on one of my through hulls, so I am fixing that, putting in a new bilge pump and shower sump and hopefully I won't have to do anything down there for a while other than clean the AC strainer.  When I put it all back together there are going to be some screws visible where there was not before, but I will do it nice and put those little decorative things around the screws and honestly the visible screws won't bother me now knowing that I can easily get access to that area.  I'll try to post some pictures when I get it all finished.  Thanks everyone