Options

Boat is going in the water, but snow (?) is in the forecast.

Here in the midwest, we are used to weather changes.  We are moving to a new harbor in Indiana off Lake Michigan this season (new harbor is about an hour from our house).  I don't have a bilge heater.  The forecast is for next Tuesday to have a low of 32 degrees.  At what point, temperature wise, should I have to worry about things freezing that shouldn't freeze?  

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Temperature is one thing duration is another. If its going to 32 degrees as a low for just a short time I wouldn't worry about it. The water temperature is probably in the low 40's by now anyway. Check what the water temp is where you are going to dock and then see how long its going to be cold and make your decision from there.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I was told by mechanics that in the water is better than out as the water is warmer than air temp and less chance of chilling. After a season my boat often sat for a while in water awaiting winterization or done as soon as pulled for that reason. Also the block retains a lot of heat and will take a while to get to freezing and likely isn't there now.

If it was me I'd not flush water systems of antifreeze yet and before you get the cold snap, run your engines up to temp for a while. Get some heat into that cast iron.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave my boat in all year in the Columbia River near Portland. I add antifreeze to the freshwater system and I have a bilge heater that turns on at 40 degrees. I have never had an issue so I'm sure you'll be fine. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @icoultha is correct, better in than out. Southern Lake Michigan water temp is currently running around the low 40s. But aren't all Indiana marinas closed until at least April 22nd? I know Portage, Hammond, and East Chicago are for sure.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    The engine won't freeze.  It's connected to a huge metal heat sink (the outdrive) that is submerged in water.  As long as she's in the water, the engine block will stay pretty close to the water temperature unless the air gets really cold for 2-3 days.  

There's a slight risk to the fresh water systems including the galley pump and AC pump.  Do you trust your HVAC system?  Turn it on, set it to 65 deg, and check it the next morning.  
  • Options
    Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    The harbor we are going to is open, but I have decided to wait.  They will put the boat in the water, but I am going to let it sit for 10-14 days before I touch it because I'm not sure the social distancing policies the dock workers putting my boat in adhere to.  So, the freshwater system will still have the antifreeze.  Thank you for all the help, this is a great forum.

• Options
    Interesting. I wonder how they are getting around the Stay-At-Home order. That would be a big red flag to me as to how they conduct other business on their grounds.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the harbor is essential if it serves USCG/Fire/Police marine.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    icoultha said:
    Perhaps the harbor is essential if it serves USCG/Fire/Police marine.
    Without knowing which marina, possibly - but all the municipal marinas I've checked in the area (Hammond, East Chicago, Portage) are all closed, and the nearest CG Station (Chicago) has its own gas/service facilities.