Options

Power steering to transom cooler hose

Just posted a discussion asking about grease fittings and lube points on steering. Pat310 sent me a manual . Thanks! I didnt find any grease fittings on my steering linkage behind the motor. This is 97 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2. I did find a grease fitting on the shaft from motor through transom.  I opened a can of worms once I started looking. I found my power steering cooling hose was almost collapsed completely. Not sure why it got this way. Maybe time, heat and the tight place on steering it's in.  I got it off but it wasn't easy.
I ordered a new hose for little over 50 bucks from place in Florida.
This is off the subject but I have another question. Is the sink water in the bathroom head suppose to run out inside the hull of the boat?  I know it does cause I put food coloring in sink and let it run. Had blue water running out the plug drain. The sink in galley runs out the side of the boat. 
Here is my power steering cooler hose.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch with the hose. 
    Your sink in the head should drain overboard not into the hull. Sounds like the hose may have disconnected from the through hull fitting.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Definitely a good catch!  Easier to look around and prevent issues than wait for them to happen.  & yes, no sinks should drain into your boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    Parts VU had that hose for 47.12. Cheapest place online I found.. Darn , now got to start looking and see why sink drains into the hull. Starboard side has two outlets on side of boat. I figure one is intake for toilet and other is for sink drain. Dows that sound right?
  • Options
    Wouldn't be any intakes on the side of the bottom, they would all be on the bottom.   The sides would be for drains (sinks, showers) and air conditioner outputs and generator outputs, bilges...that's about it.  Oh, also vents, which are typically higher up.

• Options
    So the intake for the head is on the bottom?  Two drain holes on Starboard side. I only have the one bathroom sink on that side. No Shower, no AC. So one is sink drain and the other a vent?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the forward bilge pump, ckeck under the aft bed.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Or where the cabin door step is, that drains out the side.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I found my sink drain problem. The black flex hose they use from the factory shrinks and breaks. I filled my boat full of water last night flushing the fresh water tank. All the water in the head was going in the boat. I could not even get the factory hose that broke even close to where it come apart before I changed it. That kind of hose shrinks over time. The flex hose going to the bilge pump is stretched tight now. It will probably break soon. I replaced the sink drain hose with .750" I.D. heater hose from auto part store. On this boat I had to pull the fridge out to get to it. Thankfully they left plenty of cord to get it out.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I’m sure that makes you feel better!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty clean back there for a leaky sink. Boat must be a 240 see it on the right.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Great job Steve!  You are already learning much more than most boat owners.  Keep checking things and asking questions.

• Options
    Yea, they went to a lot of work to machine 240 in that plywood. I wonder why? Got whole inside apart now with two fans on drying out carpet. Even got sleeper wet. Took front bilge pump out and cleaned it. Put new screws in to hold it down. Heater hose will not work on bilge pump to side of boat. I tried. Has too many sharp bends. It's not rigid enough and collapes in bends. I wonder how long that sink has been draining into the boat? It had water in it when I bought it and was dry docked its whole life.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might find that same cutout on other pieces like seat backs etc. I think it was how they tracked the pieces at the factory to easily see what was for each model. I would think that rather than cut each piece as needed there would have been a stack all cut at the same time for use as needed.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)