2000 270 horn wiring access

I need to replace the horn on my 2000 270.  The existing wiring coming out is very brittle and short to try to tap into. Anybody know the best way to access the wiring from inside the cabin?   I am guessing that I remove the large panel on the left as you walk into the head.  But just wanted to confirm before I spend the time pulling it out.   Let me know if anyone has any ideas.   Thanks. 

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a tv cabinet next to the head?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say find the other end of the wire at the switch and pull a new one through rather than tear crap apart if you can...
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also try what @rasbury is suggesting. @Cableguy Greg the 2000 270  didn't have that cabinet the later models had, at least mine doesn't or any other 2000's I've seen.
    @gherkin if that doesn't work then I think you're on the right track, easier than trying to remove the panel on the v-berth side. Seal it back up well after of course. But Rasbury's suggestion could work as long as they didn't tie wrap the wires together at the factor or something.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • gherkingherkin Member Posts: 45
    All. Just wanted to update you on how I got this done.  Couldn’t pull the wires. They didn’t budge. I pulled out the ac thermostat so I could get a glimpse in there.  I could see everything and could see that removing the panel in the head wouldn’t help because there is fiberglass behind it.  So I noticed the mirror in the head.  And thought that maybe there was an access panel behind it.  There was not. So I drilled a 4 inch hole thinking that I might be able to find the wires.  This didn’t work but I was able to fix up some wires that were sagging down by the port hole.  So I ended up removing the head door and the panel on the left which gave me good access to the area to fix up the wiring it was not difficult and I didn’t have to completely remove the panel  just left the bottom attached and was able to pull it out far enough to get in there.  If I ever needed to this would also be how to access the windshield wiper motor.   Thanks all
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got any pictures of the process?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...no worse than cars I guess that engineers never consider how something needs to be fixed...
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    On my 2005 270 wires are in the ceiling of bathroom. There is an access panel. I’m sure you have already looked there lol