Options

Learning about my boat - how to use A/C, microwave, etc while under way? '04 FV 250

I bought my first boat late last year (a 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250) and have now operated it for a few hours on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia. I had literally zero powerboat experience prior to this boat - never owned one, never operated one. I've taken it out three times now, just to get used to operating it, in and out of the slip, etc.

This past weekend, I decided to venture into the cabin to check out the microwave and other functions. I see the switch to turn shore power on/off. I haven't connected it to shore power yet to test that yet.

I know this is a dumb question, but how do I use the microwave and other power accessories in the galley while we're out on the lake? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have a generator then you may be limited to only using the accessories on shore power. If anything is 12v powered then it should run from the battery. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum
    If you don’t have a generator installed a portable one is an option.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Also, if you haven’t hooked up to shore power yet be careful, your refrigerator will drain you batteries.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    emelvee1emelvee1 Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2020
    I have a small portable generator. I thought I would need that only if the engine was off. I guess I figured I'd be able to use the accessories (mainly fridge, microwave, A/C and heat) while operating the boat, without a generator. I know for the A/C to function, the boat has to been in the water enough for  water to cycle through for cooling (such as if overnighting onboard)
  • Options
    If the engine is running and the electrical system has an inverter than maybe that stuff will operate. That would need to be a very large inverter though to run some of those things. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    If the engine is running and the electrical system has an inverter than maybe that stuff will operate. That would need to be a very large inverter though to run some of those things. 
    I guess I was comparing the boat to an RV. But I hadn't thought about how serious of an inverter that would be needed for those larger-draw accessories. 
  • Options
    I calculated the refrigerator draw on the battery once and surprisingly it would take quite awhile to run the battery down. Of course it depends on outside temperature and how cold you want the refrigerator. I believe it would easily last 24 hours if I recall correctly which is fine for overnight then start the engine. How many batteries do you have in board? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    There are the two standard batteries onboard

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    FYI, it is safe to leave the boat plugged into shore power (assuming all systems are in good condition).  That will keep the batteries charged and the fridge cold.  The battery charger will not overcharge the batteries.  
  • Options
    I guess I was assuming you were not in a marina. My battery comment on the refrigerator was thinking of anchored over night or out for the day keeping your soda pops and water cool 😎
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I guess I was assuming you were not in a marina. My battery comment on the refrigerator was thinking of anchored over night or out for the day keeping your soda pops and water cool 😎
    I do keep the boat in a slip at a marina. The main reason I was hoping to be able to use the fridge, A/C, etc. while underway was if I anchored out on the lake for a few hours on a hot day.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anchored and using a genny make sure you put a co2 detector in the boat.  A couple died 2 years ago on our lake from co2 poisoning.  
  • Options
    It happened here also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Fortunately we have a great thread that was just started on co2 detectors and monitors. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I dont have one of the fancy wired in ones, i have a home depot 25 dollar one that gets a new 9v battery each season.  

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    You can definitely keep the fridge going, especially if you leave it on and plugged into shore power the rest of the time.  A few hours anchored, your fridge will work on DC and stay cold.  As far as AC, typically while anchored you'll get a nice breeze and won't need it.  But, with a portable generator (large enough to power AC), you can use it for the occasion time you want to run it and keep batteries charged.  You'll find that you can stay out anchored all weekend and use the generator just a few hours each day.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I run my genset, a 2200ish watt inverter generator about 8 to 10 hours a night.  We run the ac from about 9pm until we are good an woken up the next morning.

I have to refill around 5am but by that time nature is calling and i need to visit the swim platform anyway.    

I don't have a fridge.  Oddly enough the pressure cooker useses more amps than the AC.