Options

Is anyone having any problems with your Rinker Q7 not starting?

q72020q72020 Member Posts: 9
My 2020 Q7 is a month old and while the batteries are charged the engine doesn’t turn over. It’s been back to the dealer for service but no one seems to know what the problem is. 

Answers

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and the Rinker family. Need alittle more info and the guys on here will help you out.
    Does engine turn over?
    Just getting a click when keyed?
    Verify batteries are carged with volt meter?
    Volt meter on the slave solenoid will verify key is working and powered?
    This boat is new the dealer should take care of this..
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and the Rinker family. Need alittle more info and the guys on here will help you out.
    Does engine turn over?
    Just getting a click when keyed?
    Verify batteries are carged with volt meter?
    Volt meter on the slave solenoid will verify key is working and powered?
    This boat is new the dealer should take care of this..
    Chris, are you quarantined at home and have nothing to do? LOL
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    being a new boat, i'd check the connections at the starter to make certain they're good, and check the grounds.  i'd wager it's a connection somewhere. 

next thing would be items that have a high failure rate early, and if they pass that stage they don't fail until ripe old age- I'm looking at the main breaker, here.  bypass it.  see if this remedies your issue.. next, battery switches if equipped- they're easy enough to check with only an eye having at least 40/20 vision... then, helm switches.  make sure your dead man switch is functional (connected to your lanyard).  Make sure your neutral interrupt is functional and/or not malfunctioning.  I could tell you how to pin it out- but that is a more complicated than simply pushing the throttle/gear slightly forward (slowly) while holding the key to start, and if that doesn't work pulling it slightly and slowly backward to see if the starter engages at any point during your 'testing'.  if it does it indicates an out of adjustment circumstance at the helm.  

give these a run and report back?
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses😊. I will check all these things again.  The dealer has taken it back to the marina, said everything was fixed, and we drove it off the lift yesterday, it started fine, turned it aft and tied it to the dock as we loaded and it wouldn’t start. Used the ropes to pull into the left. Haven’t heard from the dealer today.  I’m at a loss and wondering if buying this boat was a bad decision 🙄
  • Options
    it could be any boat, just so you know... every part and piece of that thing is a common part to any boat available anywhere with exception of the hull.  it could be a rinker as soon as a crownline.. 

based on your description there is little doubt it isn't electrical.  given your description you've isolated it to a key series of events that have to happen to even send power to the starter... based on the fact the starter kicked just fine prior, and engine fired without your noting difficulty, you can eliminate most if not all major concerns (read:expenses). 

check connections. check them again.  you should hear a 'click' if the main starting solenoid was faulting- but you'll need to check the connections on it, too... wiggle the gear/throttle lever AS you're holding the key to start- wiggle the key a bit as you're hitting start too (may be a bad ignition switch)... check battery connections... check connections to the helm.. make sure the little button on the shift interrupt isn't sticking (it is a rocker looking thingy thing where your throttle and gear cables attach to your engine atop the intake manifold- if you have someone shift while you're looking at the engine you'll see them move, and you should notice the little button that is depressed as it passes between neutral and in either forward or reverse)... I offer the detail on that last one because you mentioned you were in reverse momentarily in order to load-up... 

whatever it is, it's small and it's not a big deal to swap.  and, it could be anyone's 'brand new boat' regardless of label on the side of the boat.  

pay close attention to YOUR procedures when your starting, and share them with us here... this may be even simpler than an (almost) inconsequential electrical function. 
  • Options
    Thank you again. We did the key jiggling yesterday and will try again and try the other suggestions as soon as we can.  This is an outboard 400 hp. And I agree that  it could happen with any boat ☺️  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you first turn the key do you hear any beeps? Or when it quits?
    I'm thinking a false fault signal for low oil or water pressure or some such and it's shutting down. With an outboard you should also have the safety tether, make sure it isn't coming loose on you.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    For that..... there is a lug mounted just inside the hull for oitboards... it allows makers to hang an engine on it and connect it easily.. there is likely an access panel to pull off and see the lug.. its for power.  Check the connection there.  
  • Options
    Yes it makes beeps but the Simrad doesn’t engage because the engine doesn’t start. It does nothing. Everything just beeps.  Weather permitting, the dealer is going to send a mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully he can figure it out.  
  • Options
    Happy to hear they're sending someone. If you're board you can count the beeps and Google fault codes for that 400 (Merc?)
    And it'll tell you what the real or imagined issue is.
  • Options
    That’s very interesting! I had no idea.  I’m going to mention it to the mechanic tomorrow and see if he was aware. Thank you!😊
  • Options
    q72020 said:
    That’s very interesting! I had no idea.  I’m going to mention it to the mechanic tomorrow and see if he was aware. Thank you!😊
    Mechanic might look at you funny 
    .....if he's any kind of mechanic at all. Beep codes go way back on outboards. Before all the electronic displays it was how you could tell what an issue was. Low oil pressure on a four stroke. Low oil in the reservoir in a two stroke. Overheat situation etc. 

• Options
    He might look at me funny but it won’t bother me! Won’t be the first time 😂
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Will it start in neutral while giving it throttle?  It could be a sensor, fuel or temp, maybe ECM...a problem I have w a new Merc engine.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will it start in neutral while giving it throttle?  It could be a sensor, fuel or temp, maybe ECM...a problem I have w a new Merc engine.
    If it does start with the throttle forward change the IAC valve.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an IAC valve on these big outboards?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Is there an IAC valve on these big outboards?
    I believe all fuel injected gas engines have them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. We’ve had torrential rain. So, couldn’t get on the boat today and the mechanic couldn’t come either. So we will try again tomorrow! 
  • Options
    Being a brand new boat it would be rare for it to be an engine issue. Not impossible, but rare. Merc builds a pretty good outboard in my opinion. (Pipe down you Yamanuts ;) )
    I'd still suspect something in the wiring harness/safety tether etc.
    A bad connection or some such. Anyway, best of luck and please keep us posted. We're all rooting for ya.
  • Options
    Well we’ve tried everything and it is dead! The engine doesn’t start, doesn’t move, nothing is working. The dealer is sending a mechanic on Tuesday.  I will post when I know anything. I appreciate all your help! Thanks 
  • Options
    Again, there is a lug on the stringer of that boat that has two connection points.. you bolt the engines harness to one side, the boats harness to the other.. it bridges the two together.. it is a common point of failure as it may appear well connected but it isn't. 

Without a solid connection you won't be able to do anything... SOMETIMES you'll have enough connection to run low Amp consumption devices, but as soon as you attempt to draw power of any significance through it? It will act like a dead battery.  As it's losing connection it will get worse and worse, until it gets jostled just right and you'll have everything back momentarily... just to lose connection again.  

It is a common point of failure as dealers install outboards.  There should be an access panel if you follow the harness into the hull... it may be hidden in the bottom of a hatched hold, but it will be there.  Pop it off... it's most likely a 9/16's wrench... pull OFF both sides, apply dielectric grease, reassemble. Both sides... nice and snug, and advise to have a star washer in between lug and nut.  

This is what your issue sounds like to me, and other than that (on a new motor) I'd look directly at the computer (which will fail at beginning of life far more often than middle life)... I wager on the described connection.  Get in there and tighten it.. its a ten minute job. 
  • Options
    Here was the problem with the Q7 not starting. The heat seal from the post connector to the wire for power to the battery was installed incorrectly causing the connection to faulted intermittently.  When the connection was tightened the heat seal lodged between the connector and the power source. The red heat connector was actually squashed in between.  And, I asked about the harness, Rinker uses its own so there’s no thru/hull connector with this engine. Thank you for all your help and suggestions!! They are sincerely appreciated.  As was said, there are going to be kinks that need to be worked out but it’s worth it. The Q7 is a beautiful boat. 😊.