More voltage issues. Now at fuel pump relay

Hi all,  

So still trying to get all the bugs worked out on my recently purchased 2000 rinker 270.  I recently solved a low voltage issue at the helm by running a new wire and now I am having a similar issue at the fuel pump relay.  I have battery voltage to the pump relay until I turn the key on and then it drops down to 10 something and it’s not enough to kick the relay in.  The relay just keeps tapping as it try’s to kick in. I’ve tried a new relay.  It’s not the key switch as it is new and I have tested it. I have not had much time to troubleshoot it but does anybody have any ideas where to start?  What sends the voltage to the relay when you turn the key on?  Does it come from the ECM?  Weird part is if I turn the engine over the fuel pump will kick in. Boats not running well but I think it may be because the fuel pump isn’t getting proper voltage. 

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Have you searched for the wiring diagrams for your boat? I was able to find mine in the forum for a 280. It sounds like you have an issue somewhere on the boat maybe with a grounding block or main relay given the other issues you have had. Also I wonder what you bypassed by running the wire straigt to the switch on your last issue.  You would need to physically touch and clean the connections even if the look new it doesn't matter. One of my amp screws was loose about a 1/4 turn and I didn't find it till I started moving stuff around. I have also had grounding issues in the past where I just need to scrub off a little corrosion then screw the ground back down. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe corrosion on a pin for the main harness plug at the engine?
    2008 330EC
  • gherkingherkin Member Posts: 45
    All. I finally got to the bottom of all my voltage issues. After hours of reading on both this issue and my previous issue with voltage at the helm I finally ran across a post on another forum where someone had the same issue.  There is a 90 amp fuse down on the starter. I looked at this thing a few times and I thought it was just a terminal block. All was tight and I was getting 12 volts on both sides.  But apparently with some draw on it it just wasn’t putting out proper voltage even though it appeared to be.  Bypassed it as a test and all was good.  So I did replace it and also put the original power line back to the helm.  I have spent so much time on all these issues. So glad I finally got a resolution.  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to hear the problem solved 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy you found it. Being a fellow 2000 owner I'm curious as to where this fuse is located? I was aware of the ones up on the engine block under the flame arrestor shroud and the reset/breaker, but on the starter?  Is it inline or on the starter itself?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    edited April 2020
    @Willhound , this is what the fuse on the starter looks like. It’s mounted right on the stud.

2008 330EC
    Happy you figured it out @gherkin .
    2008 330EC
    Ahh, thanks @aero3113 I can picture how that works. Looks like in a pinch it could be bypassed to get you back to the harbour if need be.
    Yes, but would be cautious doing that because it had to blow for a reason.
    2008 330EC
    Absolutely.