Options

Sticky Throttle and Steering Play

Hi everyone, hope you're all staying safe and getting a chance to social distance on the water. 

I'm still putting work into my 2001 270 FV, replaced the VHF antenna and head unit today, working great! Next project is to tackle the horrible throttle and loose steering. 

I have a 383 Stroker with a bravo 3, it has what I believe to be the original quicksilver throttle currently installed. It's super harsh to shift gears, I took the throttle control apart today and it looked and felt like some of the internal components were just worn out. I'm looking at this unit for the replacement: https://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3463502(not necessarily that vendor, but the model looks good) and had a few questions: 

-Do you think I should change out the shifter and throttle cables as well? Is there a way to check if that's required or if I can get away with what I currently have?
-Anyone done the swap before? Anything to be careful of? The IOM for the seastar looks pretty straight forward. 

For my steering, I have a rack system. There's currently about 5 inches of play when I turn the wheel in the opposite direction of my last turn til it responds. I had the dash apart today and noticed that the end of the rack that the cable comes out of sort of bulges when I'm in my dead zone, I'm planning on replacing the whole thing. Problem is it's super hard to get to even with all the dash panels off, so I wasn't able to get any model numbers or lengths for the cable, etc.

-Does anyone have any model numbers or resources I might be able to use to find a rack and cable length for replacement without pulling it all out first? I can remove it if I need to to get part numbers, but thought I'd ask first.

Any other thoughts you might have based on what I've described is always appreciated as well. 
2001 270 "Salty Disposition"

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I installed that same Seastar unit in my 330 last month (except with the dual control).  Haven't used it yet but install was straight forward.

I also ordered new throttle/shift cables for my 330 but haven't installed them yet.  I emailed Rinker and they provided me with the lengths so that I wouldn't have to remove and measure.

I replaced the binnacle, shift and throttle cables in my former boat and it was easy to do and made a huge difference.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaxBouncerLaxBouncer Member Posts: 18
    Thanks YYZRC, glad to hear. Did you have to buy any kits other than the main throttle control? I see in the IOM there's a kit referenced for Mercury motors, but I've been unable to find much out about it.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You don't need a special kit for Mercury anymore; they need to update their documentation!  I had a ton of pain on this one when working on my 330 and their tech support helped me out.

The other thing to know is that you need the control with both trim and tilt if you want to be able to fully raise the outdrives.

EDIT: I found the install doc that the Seastar tech sent to me to clarify.  I also attached the wiring diagram for the trim and tilt.

If I remember correctly, you want to connect the violet to the trim (not blue as indicated in the diagram above) and the blue to the tilt.

Here's the contact info for the tech that helped me:

Jim Corday
    Tech Support Rep II

Phone +1 610-495-7011
    Jim.Corday@dometic.com

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    The steering play could be the pins on the outdrive where the steering cable connects. Common problem for ones in your manufacture range. I ended up just putting a new transom assembly in mine because it didn’t cost much more than Mercruisers fix for the steering slop, and the fix usually requires you drilling large holes in the transom. 
  • Options
    Thanks again YYZRC! I have a separate trailer switch that I'm planning on keeping, so I think I should be good with just the trim version. Ordered, will be here for a weekend install, I'll let you know how it goes!

69fastback, I actually already replaced the transom assembly, first thing I had to do with the boat. Started sinking on my first time out haha. I'm looking at one of the helm and steering cable kits similar to this: https://www.marinepartssource.com/ss141-rack-and-pinion-steering-kit

Just need to get the cable length when I'm there this weekend doing the throttle control.

• Options
    Just following up on this, both the steering cable and throttle control were successfully changed out! 

The steerimg cable was SSC13416 if anyone needs it for future reference.

Drives and shifts like a new boat.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Sweet.  That's going to make a huge difference.  Thanks for sharing details.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭