Options

More Rinker 350 Questions

Have new to me 2008 Rinker 350....
Electric Questions:
1. 5 batteries, 3 on port aft side of boat, (2 house and start for port engine).  1 on starboard aft for SB engine and one up front for thruster.  Seems like the generator, which is on SB side is hooked to port starter.  Seems strange why not to SB starter?

2.  When charging off of AC or from generator the chargers automatically decide which batteries get allocation?

3.  Do the two fridges and ice maker only run on AC?  Do they have inverters in them to run off of DC when no shore power or generator running?  (my other boat's fridge could use either).  

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Do you have other systems hooked up to the stbd starter battery, such as DTS?  Maybe they wanted the genny on a battery that only runs an engine, and nothing else.  

Yes, the charger decides which batteries to charge, and there are various strategies depending on the age of the charger.  (Note - many people here have reported that battery chargers start dying after about 10 years.  If you are having issues with the charger, you might be due for a new one.) 

The ice maker is AC only.  Fridges will run from battery, and probably have a built-in inverter for running on AC.  
  • Options
    Mich350Mich350 Member Posts: 19
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the ice maker requires AC - unlike the fridges which will operate on 12v too  - because the ice maker must use heat to melt the ice cubes to loosen them from their cradle and 12v power won't do that.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    @Michael T - interesting, I didn't know that.  Thanks.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That ice maker is a little beast. When able to use shore power or using the generator we would fill-up a cooler with ice, then let the ice maker re-fill itself and then it would stop making ice (just like home refrigerator ice makers) and then keep the ice frozen in the bin. That way there was plenty of ice while underway. Dock friends would also often drop by for a blender full. 
    Post edited by Michael T on