Waste tank

Our marina has a suction device to empty the waste tank. However, when we attach their hose to the outlet on the boat nothing is coming out. We are priming the pump by sucking in some lake water and a vacuum is definitely being created at the outlet. The kid at the dock does not have much experience. It seems to me that a valve or something should be opened on the boat so as to replace the contents being removed with air. Any help will be appreciated!

Answers

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

E_H,

I had a similar experience on our 342 the first time.  A check in the engine room revealed that the valve that selects the direct outlet from the tank or the macerator pump was set wrong.  Set it correctly and all was well after that.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342

• Electrico_HombreElectrico_Hombre Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much tony but, can you expound on what was "set wrong"?
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Thanks so much tony but, can you expound on what was "set wrong"?
    You might want to click on Tonys name and send him a personal message even though he here a lot like I am he would be sure to see your question I don't have a macerator or I would try and help

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    If you have a macerator then you have a "Y" valve. Make sure the valve is set to waste access port and not the macerator...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    I checked the valve today, it is set to the waste access port.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're absolutely sure that the Y valve is set correctly then the vent may be blocked or the line kinked somehow. If the vent gets blocked the tank could collapse or simply refuse to allow evacuation of the tank.

Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Well, I would have to tell you that it is time to start disconnecting those hoses to and from the macerator valve.  I would use a shop vac to check from the thru fitting to valve, then check the valve in and out.  For the valve to tank, I would use a snake.  Someone a couple weeks ago use a stiff hose to get in there and snake the line.  You have a blockage somewhere, and it is either solid waste, or in the valve, or in the thru fitting to valve line.  Hope you have a good stomach, and good luck.  Oh, and about the vent line being clogged, even if it was clamped shut, every time you remove the suction hose, it would equalize, and then you would get "some" waste out before creating enough suction to stop transfer or buckle the tank, so unless you are getting some waste out, it wouldn't be the vent line.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
    Ok, figured it out. In my personal opinion, the Y valve orientation is backward. I made the assumption that if the handle was parallel to the drain hose then the valve would be open in that direction. I was wrong. Once I moved the handle in line with the Macerator hose the tank was able to be evacuated. Thanks for all the help.