Options

Gimble Ring Replacement

PaulZ00PaulZ00 Member Posts: 19
As I was getting my boat ready to go back in the water I noticed that my Gimble Ring has a giant crack in it. Also the fin at the bottom of the outdrive has a pretty sizable chunk out of it. 
I have no idea how this could have happened. The crack looks relatively fresh as if it may have happened while in storage over the winter. No signs of corrosion or aging around the crack. 
Anyway, I need to find a good, reliable boat shop to fix it. Does anyone have a good recommendation to go to in the St Clair Shores area? Hoping this isn’t going to cost a fortune but more importantly, I’m hoping not to have to sit out an entire boat season.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Can’t help with a mechanic but maybe you have an insurance claim if storage damage related.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Thank you. Yes, I put in a claim yesterday. I have to get an estimate before they can proceed with even evaluating the claim. Let us pray.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to bad a job...but likely you struck something (insurance) or the boat yard did it. Out drive comes off, new humble and back together. Not a huge deal...good time to evaluate bellows and gimbal bearing while your there... 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a bummer, will be a few thousand. While they are at it you should replace the steering pin seal and do a transom kit (bellows, gimbal bearing, etc) sounds like it happened while they were moving you around in storage. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All American Drive Service in Bronson, MI (near Coldwater) can fix that skeg issue. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. It’s very much appreciated. I’m considering questioning the yard but I really have no way to prove it, so I’m not sure I want to throw around accusations.
    In any event, hoping to speak with the insurance company tomorrow and we’ll go from there.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If insurance won't handle it then it is not a bad job to do if you can get it somewhere to pull the out drive....look on Ebay for a gimbal, be surprised how cheap you can buy one for....if the bellows and steering pin have recently been done then just do the ring and the other stuff when it is "due". The outdrive is 30 minutes to get off- really simple but you'd have to make a stand for it...you would need a special socket for the gimbal pivot pins but other than that....again, if your handy and a place to do it. I would not think it to be in the thousands to pay someone to do this. I would not do the pin unless you have to ( ie it's leaking ) and would do it only by pulling the motor.