Boat Shipping Prep, covering holes????

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any advice on a tape for covering holes when shipping a boat? We are removing the radar, GPS and TV antenna's. It's only 4 hours so we are not shrink wrapping but I'd like to be sure to use a decent tape to cover these holes. Any recommendations? Thanks. 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen dealer use white duct tape & tape down all hatches, windlass cover, etc too.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, ok, was thinking that wouldn’t hold up in wind and rain but if that works awesome!

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    It will hold up fine for those conditions.  The worst will just be cleaning the bugs and diesel sot off whatever part of the boat is facing forward during the ride.  Good luck & take some pics!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marina that shipped my boat used some of the tape that they use for shrink wrapping.  It came off clean.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Thanks gang, I'll grab some more duct tape. Yes Dream will get pics of her arriving. REALLY hoping that she can go bow first so at least I have a fighting chance of less soot and clean up. They assured me they will certainly try to go bow first. Canvas will be off of the rear to prevent damage and as I said no shrink wrap. 

• bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Thanks gang, I'll grab some more duct tape. Yes Dream will get pics of her arriving. REALLY hoping that she can go bow first so at least I have a fighting chance of less soot and clean up. They assured me they will certainly try to go bow first. Canvas will be off of the rear to prevent damage and as I said no shrink wrap. 
    You made the right decision not to shrink wrap, especially 4hr trip. Shrink wrapping if not perform PERFECTLY for "shipping" could damage the boat in several ways.
    Boat yards wrapping your boat for "storage" and then putting on a trailer for speeds upward of 60mph is wrong. There are different methods of wrapping for storage and shipping.  Fact I learned the hard way and most novice companies won't  know the difference. 
    BEAUTIFUL vessel, need many detailed pictures for us to drool over
    Thanks bry, duct tape seemed to work fine. She is sitting inside until she moves next week. Removed all canvas and the outside cushions that were not screwed in. Removing the open array radar was not fun but we got it, had to put the admiral on the hard top! Radar is wrapped in a sleeping bag and comforter and tied in place down below! 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget little things like garbage can lids that aren't hinged that could grow wings over a bump. Anytime I transport my boat, all of those items go down below. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Hey Liberty ,
    are you removing all fittings & hardware off hardtop to where its a smooth surface or just the radar ?
    What's the name of the shipping company? 
    Thanks guys. Yes I removed the radar and gps/tv antennas myself. Went to smooth surface which o scraped and cleaned and then taped. Using Beattie Marine Transport to move the boat, Tim is a good hauler who my family has used and he is the only company with a hydraulic trailer to make it over the steep bridge in my marina.