Options

Crankshaft position sensor alarm

TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
2 hours Into a 4 hour trip got this alarm. Lasted a few minutes then went off. Now what?
2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a first or first couple of runs for the year I'd suspect just a balky sensor, maybe some condensation, loose connection etc. Especially since it went away. Should be able to pull the connection and maybe spray some contact cleaner in there and put it back together.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Can you tell me where I might find the sensor on merc 496? Thanks for the help.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have dealt with a couple of those sensors over the years...as they start to fail you get the codes...maybe a no start and then a final failure...if the connections look good (had any other work done lately?) then I would just replace it...probably available as a std.,GM part but otherwise probably not a real expensive part anyway. Typically located on the front of the motor dead center of the camshaft.
  • Options
    Thanks will take a look this weekend.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Ole Ras is becoming the expert here.  I like it!😁  who says an old car salesman can't learn new tricks.

Tony, I do agree to start with sensors.  You can always switch between the motors.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That's usually the first thing we do in aviation is swap parts and see if the failure follows the part. Never really thought about it on a boat since I'm a single engine. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    So was there any work done recently on the motor where it would have been disconnected? Check the plug first...then replace the part. There are no moving parts on the sensor so if a good connection, must be on its way out...being on the water with the failure not as bad as an airplane but...
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are relatively inexpensive. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a new one on and just keep the other as a get home spare just in case. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    One of those seldom failures...
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I think they are relatively inexpensive. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a new one on and just keep the other as a get home spare just in case. 
    Never seen that comment made before about boat parts.... :)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/