Options

Checking Battery Level

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Electrical Discussions
Hey Gang
Wanting to check fluid levels in my batteries. The first pic of the Interstate is a no brainer but can anyone tell me if the more solid looking cap (if that's what it is) on the starter battery is removable? I gave it a tentative pry but seems pretty tight and I don't want to break it.
Thanks.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
Post edited by Willhound on

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound - I pulled mine yesterday and have the exact same question! I didn't want to break anything or get splashed in the face with acid if I screwed up.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    @Willhound yours does appear to be a flooded battery, not AGM.  But I couldn't find any instructions on maintenance.  

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-group-24-starting-battery-1000-mca-0102495p.html
  • Options
    Definitely not AGM. I'm too cheap. I tried some more and gave up. It's charging ok and all, just bugs me that I can't check it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @LaRea thanks. I should have thought of searching the retailer like you did for me. Further down the page there is a Question section and this popped up. I guess if it goes dry you just throw it away and get a new one.....

My battery has leaked badly and I need to top it up. How can I access the cells to do that?
    answer
    Answer this Question

CanadianTireAutoPartsTeam
     · a month ago  
    As a marine starting battery, this product is engineered to be maintenance-free - fluid top up would not normally be required so, unfortunately, it is not designed to be opened/serviceable. If you attempt to pry open the flush cover to access the cells, you may not be able to get it back on.