Options

High Altitude and Mercruiser 6.2L 300HP + Bravo III Drive

caseymerazcaseymeraz Member Posts: 4
Hey all, I'm new to boat ownership and I'm looking to purchase a 320 Rinker with the mercruiser 6.2L 300HP + Bravo III Drives.

I didn't realize that there needs to be some work done to make it ready for high altitude.

Does anyone know the best approach here to make the boat high altitude ready? 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure you have too with fuel injection. The computer takes care of the mixture unless you have carburetors 
  • Options
    Much like a car. You don’t do anything to a car to go over a mountain. Right?
  • Options
    I guess the dealer mentioned it today so now I have concerns lol. But I don't know enough about it. They mentioned the gear ratio needs to be changed. 
  • Options
    Are you sure you want to own a boat? LOL
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like the dealer is using some bad data such as thinking of a carb engine. The engine will probably make a little less power at altitude however I can't imagine it will be a big enough difference that you need to change years in the out drive. I would say worst case if you need a little push you could at some point change the prop to Hill 4x4 props. 

What altitude will you be boating at? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks Aqua_Aura. Primarily at 5,500 but we were also planning mountain trips at 8,284
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @caseymeraz , I don’t think you have to worry about it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That's definitely high. @Lake_Bum is possibly in your area just by looking at your screen name. He may have some insight as well. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercruiser used to offer "high altitude" gear ratio out drives and prop configurations. With the advent of more sophisticated fuel injection and mapping logarithms this issue was modified a bit. That said, 8K is pretty high. You may have to re-jet fuel injection - not a big deal. If you only get to 8K once in a while and are not planning on heavy loads or heavy towing you may be okay as you are. I like that your marine dealer at least advised you of the potential power loss. You can google formulae to calculate marine power loss at various heights above sea level. 

• Options
    I found this article

“The rule of thumb, for us, for fuel-injected engines, is approximately a three-percent power loss per thousand feet,” said Robert Grantham, product director for MerCruiser in Stillwater, Okla. “That’s typically what you’ll find on a normally aspirated four-stroke engine.”

https://www.boattrader.com/resources/high-altitude-boating-where-did-the-power-go/
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I found this article

“The rule of thumb, for us, for fuel-injected engines, is approximately a three-percent power loss per thousand feet,” said Robert Grantham, product director for MerCruiser in Stillwater, Okla. “That’s typically what you’ll find on a normally aspirated four-stroke engine.”

https://www.boattrader.com/resources/high-altitude-boating-where-did-the-power-go/
    Normally aspirated is carburetor. Correct??
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Non turbo

From Wikipedia 😁

naturally aspirated engine, sometimes known as a normally aspirated engine, is an internal combustion engine in which oxygen intake depends solely
    on 
    atmospheric pressure and does not rely on forced induction through a turbocharger or a supercharger.
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I just talked to a Merc dealer and they told me the gear changed and re-propped for altitude. Otherwise, it will be a big slug in the water. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you boost the engine, you will not improve over the MPI capability...which way out does a carb at altitude. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    The lake I frequent is right abound 4000 ft.   My boat, with350 MAG/Bravo3, came factory with 28's.  I have 24's, and it is perfect for my setup.  If I chose to use the boat on some of our desert lakes in Arizona, I'd really have to watch the rpm's. 
     I did test drive the boat on Lake Havasu, which is only like 400 ft, and it would jump on plane INSTANTLY.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lake_Bum yes, you would definitely have to watch your RPMs as they could shoot well past the upper band. Hopefully your rev limiter would engage quickly but that doesn't always guarantee safety! Smart of you to realize that IMO.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Keeping an extra set of props for occasional visits to high altitude makes sense.

Keeping a spare nearly 7k bravo leg plus props for those trips doesn't.  

I'd watch the rpm gauge and see how she does. The first go around.  Talk to hill 4x4 and they may be able to get you a prop that will work great at your local frequently used lakes and be acceptable when you head further up.

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally i want to see what kind of truck you have to pull that rig up to 8k feet.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so.... there is rarely a thread where every right answer has elements of wrong, and wrong answers have elements of right.. kinda funny- but understandable... 

efi is operated by a computer- but unless the engine is a closed loop cooled and o2 sensor monitored- it doesn't do didly for altitude.  it could with JUST an o2 monitor, but the issue with the open (raw) water cooled is the temperature would never reach the trigger point for the computer to close loop and trim fuel + advance/retard spark.  for that reason, and IF you wanted to compare these engines with a car at altitude, it would need BOTH a monitored exhaust (o2 sensor) AND a steady operating temperature above 178* (where most engines close the loop and start operating off of sensor data alone). 

you COULD approach a performance shop that specializes in mercruiser computers and see if they can tune for altitude... they could do it by re-writing the base tables (which is what these engines operate off of- there is no open/close loop without the o2 sensor monitoring) and providing for likelihood of predetonation by lack of o2 coupled with advancing spark... they'd retard the spark a few degrees and simply adjust the fuel trim. done.  

because o2 is less altitude, EVERY engine is less powerful.  yeah, you can tune for optimum power- but unless you're injecting o2 you're not getting the same as at sea level.  it doesn't matter how your engine is tuned or aspirated, apples to apples- the precise same engine tuned optimum for altitude will NOT produce the same power at altitude.. ain't a thing that can be done about it.  

gear ratio at altitude- they used to run the 1.62 as opposed to the 1.5 at higher altitude... which makes zero sense to me as many here have offered... JUST like a vehicle is impacted by the overall diameter of the tires, a boat's prop is huge with 'overall drive ratio'... at WOT with 34" tires a auto may be able to turn 6kRPM or may not.. same with a boat trying to turn 4800/6100 (depending on your engine) RPMs way overpropped.. it won't happen.  put the smaller tires/prop on? it may turn TOO easy... it's WAY easier to fine tune the overall gear ratio with tires or prop than with gears (be it a ring and pinion in an outdrive or one in a differential).   my experience, if you're interested- is the difference in 1.62 and 1.5 is a little over 2 pitches... that 'little over' can be covered by overall diameter of the prop.. so.. at sea level you may turn a 14.25" 23p prop at optimum RPM... where at 10k' altitude you'll be well served with a 14" 21p... maybe even better a 13.75" 21p...   

now if you REALLY want to play with that thing?  slap a closed loop (fresh water cooled) cooling system on that thing, and slap a plate between your riser and elbow (they actually make these!!) for your o2 sensor (it has to be done prior to the raw water slipstream into the exhaust)... THEN.... slap a computer from a vehicle on there instead of the mercruiser module... you'll get the most out of that engine in that configuration.... still not as good as you would at sea level, but better than you could otherwise.