Options

Some help please...Couple questions on Windlass Lewmar 1000 installation for 280EC

tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
Hey guys, so i thought I'd tackle the windlass installation today on my 280EC.  Huge pain in the **** taking apart the bow interior to gain access to the terminal block. Had to cut some of the plywood wall. o clue how to remove the side shelving, but thankfully didn't need to. 

On a positive note, it looks like all the wiring to the terminal block is already 4AWG. All the wiring at the switches and breaker at the helm were already 4AWG. 

The wiring attached to the new windlass looks to be smaller gauge maybe 8. But it's only for around 4 ft it seems. Is this an issue? I would lean to no if it came that way from Lewmar. I will connect that to the terminal block in the bow.  

Where I get stuck is do I need to use the contactor that came with the kit. When I took apart the dash and saw the circuit breaker I realize I need to change that with the 70amp one that it came with.  When I looked at the existing switch it seems like it had all 4AWG wiring to it from the breaker and not connected to any sort of contactor block.

Could I just change the breaker and leave the existing switch or do I even need to use the contacter and then low voltage wiring to the new switch. The old switch had no issues and seems pretty beefy.

Not really an electrician so trying to sort it out. Appreciate it. 

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    The current load of the new unit will burn out the switch eventually so you need to use the contactor so the switch only switches low current of the contactor versus the heavy windlass load.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you do with your Horizon 600? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As noted, you will need to replace the breaker, use the new switch and wire in the relay that came with the kit too. You’ll be playing with fire: literally, if you use the old switch and not using the relay. 

I had to make face plate adapters to install the new switch and breaker, the dash holes were too big for the new parts. 

Is the 4AWG you have suitable for the amperage and run length?  Worth 2x checking. Working off my faded memory, my 342 had 4AWG but to move to the 1000 windlass I was going to have to go to a 0AWG.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    What did you do with your Horizon 600? 
    Gave it to my BIL to tinker with for his boat Greg it had issues...
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the insight. 

And Black_Diamond, when I checked it seemed that 4AWG was suitable for the length and amperage of the boat. Guess I got lucky.