Options

Remote Oil Filter Lines (VERY LUCKY!!)

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I wanted to run my engines one more time before I launch on Monday. I noticed that both engines the Idle RPMs were at around 1000. I gave them a little throttle and the idle dropped down to 600 RPM’s . I decided to double check them again. I start the starboard engine and again 1000 RPM’s , I rev it up slightly to 1200 and then back to idle, it’s now running back at 600 RPM’s. All of a sudden I hear fluid squirting, I look at the engine and the bilge is full of oil!! One of the remote oil filter lines failed!!! I could only imagine what would’ve happened if I launched and got up on plane!..... Hopefully I will have new lines tomorrow. The old ones feel very stiff. I do know that the port side lines were replaced last season. What’s crazy is we ran the boat up on plane for over an hour when I sea trialed and no issues, just a slight drip which may have been coming from that line. Now I also have to see what’s going on with the new IAC’s, there might not be an issue, maybe the computer needs to learn the new IAC’s? 

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Lucky catch for sure!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scary!  I think I will replace mine now after seeing this.  Let us know where you order from and price, please!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I’m ordering local, online I saw there’re about $60 and the other $75.

#5 and #6

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/1A316622/4442077UU/13884_150

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Wow!  Good catch!  Always good to open hatch and look when starting up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    That would have been a bad day. 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I would hope the Smart Craft would sound all types of alarms if oil pressure got too low. A motor can survive for a very, very short time with no little to no oil pressure, assuming the oil is in good shape. I'll def be checking mine next time out.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yea, I caught it before any tones sounded. I didn’t notice what the pressure read, I’m assuming normal since it didn’t sound, I just shut down as soon as I saw the oil. No one locally has the line in stock, I was only able to get the one that didn’t blow. I should have the other line on Tuesday. Rescheduled to launch on Thursday if all goes well.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It’s crazy how much more expensive the Axius lines are!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    You could take it to a local hose/hydraulic shop and they would make you one. Nearly every diesel swap I've done has had to have a custom oil filter relocation due to the filter or filters hitting the drive shaft of axle.

If you're doing one line do all the lines, they are probably all the exact same age. There's a chance it was stressed during removal or install at some point...or the rubber is breaking down and they are a ticking time bomb.  There's a reason if you do one power steering hose in your car you do them all.
  • Options
    Yea, port side lines were replaced last season. I’m replacing both on starboard.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call.  That could have been costly and inconvenient
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry didn't see this earlier.. I've got brand new set up sitting around with no home... lines, mount, plate, even filter. 

Let me know if you need it. 
  • Options
    @212rowboat , I’ll let you know. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    If Aero doesn’t end up needing it, I will buy it from you. 
  • Options
    I should hopefully know on Tuesday.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    My lines were supposed to show up yesterday, of course they didn’t show up! Instead of biting my nails today waiting for them, I had some lines made up this morning to temporary use till the OEM lines show up. If all goes as planned, I will hopefully be in the water tomorrow!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Why only temporary? They look awesome!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If it works it ain't broke!!! Don't fix what ain't broke!!! 

Now who needs the kit I've got?  The picture is pretty much it... 
  • Options
    The custom lines are in, no leaks!! When I was installing them I got a call from the hauler, I’m scheduled to be picked up 8am tomorrow morning. Still no word on the OEM line 🙄.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Something everyone should look for! I was checking over the port oil lines and noticed one of them rubbing on a power steering pump bolt, I was able to bend the line over slightly to give it space between.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 - how hard was the install?  Did you have to remove anything in order to access the line connections?  I need to replace mine this season.  Did you loose any oil while removing the lines besides what was in the filter and lines?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My power steering lines are tight to the motor mount. My mounts are lower so the curve is more pronounced. Good luck on the splash always remember the farther you push the throttles forward the faster you go.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    @aero3113, @skennelly was this a tough job?  I have an oil leak on the stbd engine coming from the rear connections.  Maybe the fitting just needs to be tightened but the inboard line blocks access to the outboard line's nut.  Is there a torque spec on these fittings or is good and tight good enough?
    2008 350 EC
  • Options
    Easy to snug them up. Yes, to make it easy you have to remove the outboard line. There’s fittings that can loosen up also, so when the lines are off snug them up also. Make sure it’s the fitting that’s leaking and not the swage on the line.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I always had an oil drip at the back of my starboard engine near where the remote oil lines connected to the adapter. I decided to replace the lines I had made and install OEM lines. I also ordered the two O rings for the adapter. Glad I replaced them! The old O Rings were as hard as a rock and I’m 100 % positive this is where my leak was (I broke the black O ring removing it, very brittle). They definitely weren’t sealing properly.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I suspect I have the same issue.  I snugged up the lines but the drip kept dripping.  Just purchased those replacement gaskets.  Is there a bunch of oil sitting in the black bowl when you removed it?
    2008 350 EC
  • Options
    Yes, remove the oil filter before you remove the lines. This will help with the oil that comes out. There will still be a decent amount of oil in the lines still. Put some absorbent pads down to help with the clean up. You will need a 1 5/16 socket to remove the adapter once the lines are removed.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another excellently engineered design by mercury. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I replace the secondary oil filter gasket of my boat and it was a paint to tight it down. The worse designed to have a gasket.