Options

Hour meters

Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
Any of you use hour meters on your boat to determine fuel consumption.  Lot of fuel gauges seem to have their own personality. Like 1/8 tank might be 0.  Thinking about mounting one in the dash. I know speed, weight and weater play a part. Just thought it might be good as extra reference. 

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I right down my engine hours evertime I get fuel.  By the end of the year it gives me a good average. Starboard and port are different on every fill up but in the end it levels out.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @reneechris14 I use one just to track my annual usage. Gives an average burn per hour. My boat didn't have an hour meter so I just bought a cheap induction model and mounted it on the spark arrestor cowl.
    Don't know how good it would be from fill up to fill up as it really doesn't account for what your boating habits are on any particular day. Revs, load, wind etc.
    My fuel gauge seems to be fairly accurate, but on the other hand I've never let it get below a 1/4 tank anyway.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had fuel flow monitors for years, they were great for tracking fuel usage. More than a few wide-eyed looks to see near 32 gal/hr being used. lol. Made filling up easy knowing what I had used to a fraction of a gallon. 

Will be interesting to use the VV installed last fall now. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Don't think I'll ever have to worry about having a twin engine 342. All boarding swipe your debit card! Lol  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya never know!  Fuel expense is way down on my list of annual costs. Slip and storage is by far my biggie. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the VVM app to track my fuel usage and HPG. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I tried researching VVM and HPG apps and got nowhere.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    VesselView Mobile. Many threads here on it including mine after installing it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/