Options

Funky water out of the hot water heater

Would like to pick your brains on this one.  I have noticed the hot water has a funk to it.  Any ideas on how to condition the water and what to use?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cycle water through to clear out the hot water tank with fresh water. Put some bleach or pieces of chlorine pool tab in the tank. Run the water again till you can smell the bleach and let it sit for a couple days. Should be good after that. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Thanks for the response.  How would I get bleach or tabs into the hot water heater?
  • Options
    Once you put the bleach in your tank just turn on the hot water. Once you do that it goes through the hot water heater.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Thanks again for the quick response.
  • Options
    Glad to help 👍
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleach worked great for me! Got rid of the rotten egg smell. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takes only a couple table spoons of bleach in the tank. 

If you ran pink antifreeze in the hot water heater that will make the water smell and taste horrible. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually just recently discovered Bleach granules basically looks like a bunch small bearings. Makes it really easy to put about a tablespoon in to keep the tank fresh especially over winter. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    we run a couple bottles of vinegar through both the fresh and holding tank beginning of season
    rinse good
    use hot water
    i also mix with baking soda and run through the head and shower pump
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mai reason I never put antifreeze through my heater. Just drain it. A half a cup of bleach l about every second or third fresh water fill up  and never any issues.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After figuring out my water system more this year I will definitely be draining my hot water heater instead this year. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the vinegar in the spring ,when I winterize I drain the heater then run the pink anti freeze through the system ,after it’s full I go around to the faucets and drain it out whatever is left won’t freeze and the rest is air 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Aqua_Aura said:
    After figuring out my water system more this year I will definitely be draining my hot water heater instead this year. 
    Yeah, just pull the two lines and join them and you can run through both sides of the rest of the system by pulling the feed line from the freshwater tank and sticking it in the jug of punk stuff. That way nothing in the freshwater tank either and the pump does all the work.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Since we are on the hot water topic. I swapped in new lines to mine from the engine (whole other story lol). Anyways on one end a length of what I assume is the liner of the heat exchanger was past the copper tube extension and seems like it might be plugged as I could not even poke a screwdriver more than an inch. This is still the original one from new (2003) and guessing it might be replacement time?  Any experiences with the Attwoods or Kuuma’s?  The Isotemps look nice but are 2x the cost. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Go with stainless when you replace it. They aren’t much more money. I think it’s the only good thing the previous owner did on my 330. You won’t have to worry about the case rusting out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't the lines just rubber hosed?
  • Options
    I was referring to the heat exchanger in the hot water heater that gets heat from the engines. Probably should have been more clear on that one!

PC BYC, Holland, MI