Options

TV replacement suggestions

Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking to replace my original Jensen 12v TV DVD. The current tv doesn't play Blu Ray and even has trouble with regular DVD, it also won't pick up any TV station which would be nice. My original plan was a 12V Jensen and a separate DVD player but then I realized I would need to run the generator or shore power to use the DVD player. Anyone have a new TV DVD 12v combo they would recommend or any suggestions as to why I don't get any TV stations, as far as I can tell my antenna should be working. 
1997 Bayliner 3988

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I bought and installed one of these. 12 or 110 volt but it's not automatic conversion it comes with two plugs. Volume isn't great if u read the reviews that's the biggest complaint but plenty loud enough in the cabin and price was right.
    SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0066ACQKU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edit: as far as your old Jensen perhaps it's not digital compatible even if your antenna is. Needs to have a digital tuner inside.

Edit again: Sorry, also not BluRay.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The antenna seems to meet the HD specs but yes the old tv probably doesn't have the tuner, I guess the original antenna was just ahead of the TVs technology. I don't think any of the 12v tv have Blu Ray. I'll look into that one you posted. 

Does someone know the measurements of that original grey Jensen tv? Trying to figure out what size I can replace it with. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks @Willhound that helped. I looked into that tv and I like their options better than Jensen. I have searched a few times for 12v TV's and nothing ever comes up except Jensen. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Our 2014 310 EC came with a Majestic 22" combo DVD/TV. Works well for us, but what I liked about it most was the customer service. We were missing the remote and couldn't get a get a universal remote to program, so we emailed Majestic.

Got a reply from the president of the company. Gave him the serial number off of the TV and he sent us a replacement at no charge.

Looks like their new ones now can be controlled with a cellphone.

I know if/when it's time to replace, I'll get another Majestic...

https://majesticelectronics.us/12-led-tv
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound , I like the thought of an AC/DC TV. How long have you had that TV for?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I know that the previous owner replaced the TV, I’ll have to look into what he had installed.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Willhound , I like the thought of an AC/DC TV. How long have you had that TV for?
    Since last spring. Works ok, decent picture. As noted the sound isn't great, speakers are small so not a lot of volume. I have a Roku box hooked up to it for the marina Wi-Fi. I'm pretty sure Netflix and a few other apps came resident on the tv too. My home TV is internet based so I've been able to use that account with the Roku for mainline channels. I just had a cheap indoor digital antenna that I sat up on the helm but not great. I've just purchased a proper marine "flying saucer" style antenna but haven't mounted it yet. I know 8n our area there's only about 3 or 4 OTA channels anyway.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @TonyG13 I had the Majestic 22" (have actually had two of them), they are purpose built marine TVs that have very high quality pcbds and are made to be moisture and vibration resistant. There are cheaper brands out there - mainly on RV sites - but I wanted a quality unit for marine use. Worked great with satellite TV and DVD. At the marina, at anchor and even underway!
  • Options
    Does Majestic make an AC/DC TV or only DC?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    No doubt the Majestic is better quality, or at least should be for almost 4 times the price.
    I thought about it for a quick second, but questioned how much I'd really use a tv on the boat anyway. For the most part I like to watch the news with a coffee in the morning and on a rainy night, even just docked at the marina might watch a movie now and again. So I went with the cheaper option.
    There was a whole big discussion on the topic I remember about a year ago, with some saying they would never have a tv on a boat, and others saying they had to be able to watch a ball game while at anchor. To each their own.
    To answer @aero3113 's question, looks like they are both voltages like the Supersonic above.
    https://www.amazon.ca/22-12V-LED-DVD-MMMI/dp/B073Q4CR21
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I went with a Samsung a few years back for under my hardtop.  If you do some research, you can find them where there is a transformer in the power cord.  That's what I did and then used a converter to take 12vdc up to 19vdc.  It really works great!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    We keep some classic DVDs on board to watch for lunch or at night before bed. I'll start a new thread to see what people watch on board 🤷🏽‍♂️ could be entertaining. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I went with a Samsung a few years back for under my hardtop.  If you do some research, you can find them where there is a transformer in the power cord.  That's what I did and then used a converter to take 12vdc up to 19vdc.  It really works great!
    I was thinking the same thing, our Samsung and I think many smaller (24”) run off 12vdc from a power pack. So run a 12vdc supply to it and it will run off house.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm like @willhound don't really watch much TV on the boat so I put a supersonic 12 volt in the 342 works works fine sound is low. Also have a Amazon stick for wifi at the dock or hot spot on the phone for news and weather. Agree with @Dream_Inn most TV's under 32 inch are  12volt.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We installed a 24” Samsung in our 342 and loved it, there is a thread on here on how I made it quick connect from the cockpit to the down below. I didn’t care about it being 12v so that made the decision easy. It was a smart tv but the fire stick picked up the bad marina WiFi much better. Through the antenna we got 15 or more digital channels. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a SuperSonic + Amazon Fire Stick combo in my Four Winns that I moved to my Rinker in the aft area.  It's great, highly recommended.

Next time I would do a 12v to 120v converter and a bigger TV :)
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Axess brand AC/DC TV/DVD. It isn’t the greatest picture at odd angles, but is good enough for the boat cabin. I still have the original antenna because it works. No need to replace it with a new ‘digital’ one because that is a waste of a boat buck. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I'm hoping the new TV will solve my antenna issue. Would be nice to watch live TV as well. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I'm hoping the new TV will solve my antenna issue. Would be nice to watch live TV as well. 

The antenna isn't the issue. It's the TV that isn't ready for off air HD. The majority of off air HD channels are in the UHF band, and your antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna. The antenna does not care if it is an HD channel or and analog channel. It is just the device that gets the information to the TV.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yep. The antenna will come labelled HDTV but it's just a sales gimmick .
  • Options
    Analog TV stop broadcasting in 2009, I thought it was earlier than that so I was thinking my TV or antenna was messed up. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Analog TV stop broadcasting in 2009, I thought it was earlier than that so I was thinking my TV or antenna was messed up. 

It's the TV. It can't receive digital. The antenna is fine.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    You can't beat this deal !
     Instant savings and free shipping, you'd be losing money by not purchasing this beauty !
  • Options
    With savings like that they are basically paying you to buy it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Demonstrates the excessive markup.... Plus around $4800 sales tax in NY.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited May 2020
    The TV that the previous owner had installed in my 330 is an Affinity. Anyone know anything about this brand? I have to look and see if it’s AC/DC. I think I remember seeing a DC connection, don’t remember seeing an AC plug. It does have a built in DVD player.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    i replaced the factory tv/dvd combo with a 32" and 3 axis mount that lets the tv be viewable both in the bed as well as in the cabin. 

• Options
    aero3113 said:
    The TV that the previous owner had installed in my 330 is an Affinity. Anyone know anything about this brand? I have to look and see if it’s AC/DC. I think I remember seeing a DC connection, don’t remember seeing an AC plug. It does have a built in DVD player.
    Most AC/DC TV's are actually DC TV's with an external AC transformer. That is what my Axess TV is. I just wired it straight DC. 
    Go Steelers!!!