Options

Galvanic isolater

GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 2003 fv  270 reading on the forum its a factory item on the boat but I can’t seem to locate it I’ve looked behind the electrical panel but don’t see anything 

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 2000 270 it's located behind the galley cabinet, near the power cord inlet. If I remember correctly when I removed the microwave to get at the wiring to install a new stereo I could see it up in there.  Scary when you look in there, the power cord feed is just basically wired direct to the isolator and then to the panel, no junction box or anything.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never knew there was a factory one anywhere. My boat survey recommended one but I haven't put one on. I did notice an interesting box type thing in the engine bay where the aft shore power comes in. It's clear with the wires running into it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be incorrect also in that isn't there a difference between a galvanic isolator ( a box like affair) and an isolator (a diode type thing, cylindrical with a casing on it).
    What I saw was the latter. 
    Some brainier electrical types want to check in here?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Here is a nice explanation:

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2019/october/galvanic-isolators-explained

a true isolator is ideal but can be very expensive and are not small. 

I added a galvanic isolator to my 342. Supposedly has one from the factory but I have never found it. lol

I added one like this: https://www.deimarine.com/product-selection/

I did one to cover a dual 30A power inlet. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI