Options

Shift cable boot

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
I tried to post this a bit ago but it did not stick...

So recently pulled the transom asy, re did the seal for a leak...re did gimbal bearing and all the bellows. Had a lot of difficulty getting the shift cable boot to stay on to the transom....no matter how I tackled it, when tightened up the hose clamp it would just squish it off the trans part of that makes sense...so on my upteinth time I noted that as I used solvent to get the bellows adhesive off, the rubber was very tack- so the last attempt I left it at that, put it on and it stayed. Then the leak started...so my worst fear was something with the transom asy I did not do right...just looked at the shift boot and right next to the exhaust bellows a friggin tare....also, this is a siera part...I replaced the shift cable Merc...the boot is to tight on the cable so the boot is under constant pressure. . .will get a Merc one..what a pain...

Comments

• Options
    I will get that adhesive..it worked ok on the gimbal bellows, that was no problem. I did not get the clamp and would have used a zip tie but it was to tight anyway...
  • Options
    @Alswagg when you say clamps, you mean the clamp at the transom plate or the clamp where the cable exits the bellows? I think I misread what your saying....I think I have a regular hose clamp and when you tighten, it just walks off...should be a lip in that darn thing...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn’t it like an Alpha where a “C” type clamp is used that is crimped with pliers?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    This is from a kit I found on the Internet.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    That's where the cable exits the bellows which is what I first thought Al was talking about- when I re read it made me think of the hose type clamp.. maybe Merc has something else...I can't remember if I replaced the clamps or not...knowing me I would think I would have.. 
  • Options
    Your right, I think the inner one is a hose clamp.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That one is supposed to keep water coming in the bellows and a special clamp and tool to set it properly. Some I've read use a zip tie...mine was so tight when you put the drive down it just pulled to much. At least I found the problem...I was worried about it since the install...
  • Options
    So was able to get the cable pulled through no problem. There really is no adhesive to clean up but the boot was really stuck on there and pieces stuck on, tuff to get to. Exhaust bellows is off but still preeety tight in there. I will soak it down with acetone tomorrow, should have it done for the weekend...
  • Options
    Looks like success! Without pulling the out drive.....I just have to hook it back up on the inside and should be good to go....had the worst hail storm come through while I was working on it last night I have ever seen....
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job!  Certified mercrusier technician!

These cold fronts coming trough the south have been rough.  It hit us today.
  • Options
    Not hardly @PickleRick...just lazy
  • Options
    Ok, a bit beside myself on this... @Alswagg @PickleRick what is the trick? I bought the Merc hose clamp with the lit and I can not for the life of me get it tight without it working itself off. Is very difficult to get a socket on it but have a long extension with a universal adapter( or what ever you call it) and holding the clamp in place. Thought I had it on good and tight last night. I'm out hooking up the other end of the sift cable and checked- it had slid off! Like I'm trying to tighten this clamp onto something that is tapered! What is up with this?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the shifter boot where it attaches to the transom housing using a worm gear clamp?

If so i didn't use mercrusier bond i used. Pemrmatex windshield sealer adhesive.  I don't like merc bond.  

It doesnt harden like the merc bond and flake, it stays flexible.  It also acts as as a lube sliding the boot over the lip.  You'll need a flexible extension or screw driver to get it tight and straight. Using a cocked socket or extension can cause it to lock off.

I attached mine sitting on a work bench so I may have cheated.

This was an alpha 1

• Options
    So, unfortunately I figured it out...the boot did not slide up all the way on the transom part before I noticed and now it's stuck- so the clamp was not all  way on and so it did not hold. I moved the clamp up over the lip of the boot- it's about 3/4 on so I'm running with that.
  • Options
    I have the hex on the right side at about 3:00 facing up- only place I could seem to put it where I could get at it. I did not have the drive off but with the gimbal ring, don't see that making much a difference...I will do it again proper if it holds and when I pull the drive to check alignment...
  • Options
    Argh....still have a leak...when I put the motor back in I was 100% dry...