Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Rinker Express Cruisers Forum

x

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited July 2013

I have a lowly 226 with automatic tabs.  They make a HUGE difference when it comes to planing time.  Next time you're out, try seeing how slow you can plane with the tabs deployed.  That might surprize you too.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I find the trim tabs to be equally (and sometimes even more) important to planing time & cruising speed than the outdrive trim!

I put on 6 hours this weekend and really had a chance to experiment with watching my speed (GPS) and how different levels of trim tab & drive trim affected speed and ride. My boat likes 2 "dots" (Lenco LED) of trim tab even with no wind or chop. It literally gives more 2-3 mph more and a better view.

Today I had a 5-10mph crosswind, ~1ft chop, and an 85lb chocolate labrador that liked to move from side to side. :) Small changes in the trim tabs kept the boat from leaning, and kept the speed from suffering. I really have found myself adjusting the trim tabs much more than the outdrive trim, as they seem to have a much bigger affect on the ride & speed.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great comments.  I too find using the tabs on my 342 are key to getting up on plane, especially with a full fuel/water load and 4-5 adults.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention the improvement of the ride on choppy days. 

• Options
    Yeah just a little trim tab does a great job in 1-2' waves so you dont bang off the waves.
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
     i spent last season with leaking tab hose at the tab. so i had no tabs. this year whole new ball game!!! 
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    The other part of the story is that the boats stay on plane at lower rpm when the tabs are down....this saves some fuel over the course of a trip. 

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Options
    Yep, my 276 will hold plane at ~ 15mph with full tabs, and has to do close to 20mph and the bow is sky high with no tabs.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so every dang one of you know: I'm in trouble, again, and its because of this place... My wife was interested in knowing why grinding stumps and staining fences, planter boxes, and decks just fell off my to-do list and was replaced with "trim tabs" and a little smiley face.. I thought the smiley would distract her, but she saw right through that... Now I've gotta explain the importance of tabs, and somehow speak it in my authoritative voice instead of my "kid with a new toy" voice..

Yeah.. I blame this forum.. if I ain't around for the next few days or weeks, its because the dog house doesn't have a connection ....
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options

Michael T said:
    Many thanks for the advice! I was going to ask if the gph went up with tab use but if the mph are up then the gph should be at least even or probably better.
    Yep, they definitely improve MPG. For the same rpm I gain anywhere from 1-3mph with the tabs keeping the boat more level. I dont think they'll improve GPH, but you'll get where you need to go faster & more comfortably.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Hey Drew just stay on the boat....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    you, sir, are a genius!!!!!

and if she's lucky, and faces aft at attention rendering proper salute and requesting permission to board, I may let her..

:-D
  • Options
    There you go.....LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    ... just fell off my to-do list and was replaced with "trim tabs"...

so funny because tabs are climbing it's way up to the top of my list too! ... because of this place!
  • Options
    BoatAway said:

so funny because tabs are climbing it's way up to the top of my list too! ... because of this place!

maybe we should 'raft up'.... I got line and bumpers.... :-)
  • Options
    Bumpers??????? No no they are Fenders......
  • Options
    it's all in the way that you use them.... :-D

but, yes... fenders they are.. coffee I am short on thus far this a.m.... :-)
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Drew, we'll look for the typical smartphone typos if she bans you from using the house pc due to the RBOC addiction. Been there ;)

...and just to stay on topic, with typical sea conditions and an avg well balanced load any use of my tabs after I reach an ideal planning speed has a slightly negative effect on GPH. Like flaps on a plane, If the load is balanced on a properly designed hull anything dragging will effect gph at the hulls ideal cruising speed. Other sea conditions or load imbalance and yes they may help correct a trim complication but otherwise I only use them to assist in planning as quickly as possible and then they're stowed like flaps.

I habitually watch my gph to set trim and speed. With no wind/current, my '04 270s sweet spot for our 5.7 300hp merc is found in a light chop/ripple at 27mph, OD trimmed slightly aft of level and no tabs for about 15.8gph. If I add a bit of tabs it drives the nose down creating more wetted hull surface and resistance at the tabs too. Hope that helps. Mike ......

Now Drew go grind those stumps and paint those flower boxes 'cause if the Admiral ain't happy...the crew suffers. ;)   .....but sneak your smartphone out there in case you need that RBOC fix.....  :D

Here's that sweet spot (photo credit to Tony walker)........

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

dang tiki...

that picture makes me wish I was on my boat...sigh...

:P

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Looks familiar eh? Yeah, me too. have a great weekend at Boat Tree and party like Jen  <:-P
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Trim tabs are the best thing I bought for my boat next to the drive shower, ah... a more than the drive shower but I do love the drive shower.

We boat on Lake Michigan and our boat tames the waves. and the time to plane is drastically improved.

Trim tabs are a necessity.

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Kind of changing the subject here a little bit, but in regard to a drive shower, I'm thinking of adding one to my B3. Any reccommendations as to brand?
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Kind of changing the subject here a little bit, but in regard to a drive shower, I'm thinking of adding one to my B3. Any reccommendations as to brand?

start a new thread
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Apologies for violating protocol
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I dont think it was meant as being an issue as much as a suggestion to get the best results by staying on topic. long threads eventually loose track so new topics are good. Mike :)>-
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my tabs to make steering the boat more comfortable as well. As you turn, lift the tab on the inside of the turn and the boat stays level.. As you come off the turn, lower the tab again and she stays straight!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tab down before coming off plane too, reduces a little bit the surge over the swim platform I get on my 342.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI